An Artistic Update

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

An Artistic Update

Post by David »

Just wanted to let you all know that I have updated my WeBook and DeviantART profiles! I put up part 1 of Ch.4 of my book, and some Rangerly pics of Greg & I on our last outing. Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.webook.com/project/The-Counc ... aga-Book-I

http://eireelf.deviantart.com/

P.S: Have we fixed the Ranger Gallery problems yet?
P.P.S: I also sent an invite to some artists on DeviantART to check out the forum, so we might have some new members soon!
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: An Artistic Update

Post by Willrett »

Do many people from there join here?? I have seen a lot of pics there of people that would be great here.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

David wrote:Just wanted to let you all know that I have updated my WeBook and DeviantART profiles! I put up part 1 of Ch.4 of my book, and some Rangerly pics of Greg & I on our last outing. Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.webook.com/project/The-Counc ... aga-Book-I

http://eireelf.deviantart.com/

P.S: Have we fixed the Ranger Gallery problems yet?
P.P.S: I also sent an invite to some artists on DeviantART to check out the forum, so we might have some new members soon!

David; To the best of my knowledge there are no problems with the Gallery. You are eligible since you have achieved passed the Silent Watcher status. Just drop Jack or Greg a pm and they should be able to hook you up.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Does Greg live in Southern California as well? :O I'd love to meet you two some time. Los Angeles isn't tooo far from San Diego.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by David »

Peter Remling wrote: David; To the best of my knowledge there are no problems with the Gallery. You are eligible since you have achieved passed the Silent Watcher status. Just drop Jack or Greg a pm and they should be able to hook you up.
Unless I'm just blind, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to either add to an existing album, or start a new one. It only lets me view existing photos.
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ernildhir wrote:Does Greg live in Southern California as well? :O I'd love to meet you two some time. Los Angeles isn't tooo far from San Diego.
I was born and raised in LA, actually, but I live between Sacramento and the Bay area.

That being said, David'll be in San Diego for the school year in a few weeks, and there's always the possibility that we could connect at some point! Heck, my folks still live in LA. What part of LA are you from? I'm from Glendora (near San Dimas). Glad to hear of more of us out west!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I live in the Northern part of Los Angeles, near Glendale and Eagle Rock. I'm right next to the 2 freeway.

A proposition: theonering.net hosts an annual Bilbo Baggins Birthday Bash at Griffith Park, Los Angeles. It's coming up next month. The date has not yet been decided, but it's generally aimed for a weekend day closest to the actual birthday of September 22. For the last few years, this has been my most looked-forward-to day of the year.

We have a lot of Tolkien enthusiasts showing up in costume, including "Singing Gandalf", who also plays guitar at a professional level. Weta Workshop donates prizes for various contests. Traditionally, we have trivia, "Golfim-ball", and impersonation. Last year's prizes weren't quite so spectacular as the year before, so I can't guarantee amazing rewards, but two years ago my younger brother won a balrog model worth $200 for a single trivia question. They usually have books, caps, different Weta items, and once had autographed photos of lotr movie actors.

Anyway, it's incredible fun. For the last two years, they have also brought a theonering.net staff professional videocamera guy. They film a sort of documentary of the event to post on their website. I can't guarantee this, but I'm pretty sure the cameraman would be glad to film some group Ranger action shots for your media project. The raw footage could be sent to you after. I have another friend who's not a huge Tolkien or Ranger fan, but she does wear a Ranger costume and attend the event. My younger brother has also recently converted from the Rohirrim to the Dunedain, and he's trying to get his Ranger costume started. So if you and David can make it, we could have potentially five Rangers together at once, and I could email theonering.net and ask if they'd be willing to help us with the filming. I think they'd be excited to help. Further, there is a nice hiking trail in Griffith Park, so after the event we could even go for a hike and/or set up a Ranger camp for further enjoyment.

If you two can't make it, that's fine. It's just an idea. :)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I've not heard of this before.

So help me, I will find a way to be there...*crosses fingers*

CURSED that it must be on a weekend. I'm off every monday, tuesday, wednesday.

Do they usually shoot for Saturdays or Sundays? Sundays I *MIGHT* be able to swing...but the odds are not in my favor. The 22nd will be a wednesday. If they stuck with the actual date, I'd be all over that.

If they do, I WILL be all over that.

Question is...what is their policy on swords/weapons? I can easily peace-tie them, but I don't wanna have to deal with the authorities.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I'm glad you're interested. Unfortunately, I very much doubt they will go for Wednesday the 22nd.

They have tended towards Sundays in the past, I believe. I have only been to two myself, and both were on Sundays, if my memory has not failed me.

Many people, including myself, have brought different sorts of weapons in the past, and no one has ever gotten into trouble, as far as I know. A number of people even requested that I shoot an arrow into the side of a hill, just because they wanted to see an arrow fly. I consented, and nobody was distraught. On the other hand, I don't think there were any park rangers around at the time, and they might not have liked that. ;)

Anyway, as long as long as you're not swinging your blades around or firing arrows near groups of people, you should be fine. If you keep your blades sheathed and arrows unsung, you will be fine, judging by the fact that police/park rangers have never bothered us about them in the past. They usually just stare/point and laugh at our geekdom as they drive by in their patrol vehicles.

I'll pray that you're able to make it.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Depending on how things go, I may be able to swing either a Saturday OR a Sunday. Sunday would be better, because my wife and I could make the 7-hour drive overnight after I got off work on Saturday, and be there all day/as long as we wanted on Sunday, followed by the next 3 days with my folks, which I have off every week already.

Alternatively, if they opted for Saturday, I could try to switch weeks with one of my coworkers so that I would have wednesday-thursday-friday off, which would make Saturday possible, though I'd probably have to leave a little early to be back in time for work on Sunday.

Either way, it's doable. The hardest part will be convincing my boss to let me take either a Saturday or a Sunday off.

Perhaps some "aggressive negotiations" are in order. How early do they typically set the date for this thing?
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

They usually set the date around the beginning of September, I believe. I will let you know what the date is as soon as I do.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Sorry, that might have been ambiguous. In other words, I will inform you of the date as soon as I myself am informed.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Greg wrote: Either way, it's doable. The hardest part will be convincing my boss to let me take either a Saturday or a Sunday off.

Perhaps some "aggressive negotiations" are in order. How early do they typically set the date for this thing?
Greg, I realize you may be new at this sort of thing, but we old-timers call it "calling in dead." Remember the old Dunedain maxim:

"A rainy day at home is still better than a sunny day at work!"

I hope you can make it! I think pics would be great!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"