Where do you all get your tunics?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

Where do you all get your tunics?

Post by mcapanelli »

Hey all,

You know I've been searching around for a good looking tunic that will fit the bill for the ranger kit but I can't seem to find anything that's priced within reason. Revival clothing makes some nice stuff but spending $100 plus on something I only wear a few times a year is just a little too steep these days. I'd make my own but my sewing leaves something to be desired. I've been looking at the shirt here
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=492 as a cheap alternative but I'm not sure the collar would work. If I picked it up I'd dye it but that's beside the point. So to cut to the chase, where do you all get your kit piece's? What do you think works as far as time periods?
Winter is coming
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Where do you all get your tunics?

Post by Greg »

I got my cotton cream-colored tunic off Ebay for 25 bucks. I know the materials aren't 100% period, but it's functional, breathes well, and is serving me as a perfect pattern to make additional shirts out of linen and wool for different weather, etc. That was the plan from the start; buy a cheap shirt that looks right to me, and use it to make all of my multi-weather options.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

Not a lot of down time so I gotta make this quick. Muslin is dirt cheap if you buy it by the bolt and when there are sales. 10 yards for like 15$ last time. I've made shirts to match aragorn's to the t, I've made pirate shirts with the gathered shoulders and colars, and most of what I wear is very basic t tunics. If you have someone who has a sewing machine, you could conceivably make yourself 5 tunics for about 3$ each, and it's not rocket science, it's squares and rectangles. Yeah?
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

hesinraca wrote:Not a lot of down time so I gotta make this quick. Muslin is dirt cheap if you buy it by the bolt and when there are sales. 10 yards for like 15$ last time. I've made shirts to match aragorn's to the t, I've made pirate shirts with the gathered shoulders and colars, and most of what I wear is very basic t tunics. If you have someone who has a sewing machine, you could conceivably make yourself 5 tunics for about 3$ each, and it's not rocket science, it's squares and rectangles. Yeah?
Squares.......and rectang...recta......rectangles? :shock: Seriously though I don't know anyone with a sewing machine off hand but I could network.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

You could sew by hand, but if your hand-stitching is like mine, then maybe not. While our shirts/tunics need to be something that fits into the woods, any minor decorative stitching around, say, the collar should be just that- decorative. You've got me thinking about a mid-thigh to knee length tunic now.
So maybe we can throw this question into the mix since we're talking tunics. How long should your tunic be? Just below the waist? Knee length? Mid-thigh? I know too long will get in the way of most everything. Too short will be uncomfortable. I like to keep my shirt/tunic tucked under my belt, so if it's too short, I wound have to keep tucking it in.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I make mine. I get the linen from Fabrics-store.com, wool from Denver Fabrics or FashionFabricsClub.com or similar...and make the stuff myself. My new shirt is hanky weight grey linen and based off a pattern I got from Joanne's.

Siani
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I like that shirt and you could always cut the collar off some depending on how you want it. I think I will be trying to make my own stuff. I would like to get some patterns first from walmart or joannes, then I will look at getting some material where ever I can get some cheap. I also plan on looking at the good will for leather and wool items I can work with to get some kit stuff together.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eric, for what its worth I had my tunic made about 46" from neck to hem, I'm about 5'10"-5'11" and that hits me mid, or just south, of mid calf . But I strongly advise anyone to go with riding slits or use a traditional pattern with at least two side gores. The Moselund recreation of mine has four gores, two in the side two in the front and riding slits....Its very roomy and easy to move in despite its length.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I can't use a sewing machine, I foul it inside of 3 seconds everytime, so I used to get my wife to do some pieces (when I ws in the SCA). Now if I want some thing I generally make it out of leather and use a 4 prong chisel to puncture the leather, useing a multi prong chisel allows for nice even holes. If I need something in a fabric I generally buy something similar and the alter it. I've altered several shirts and I piced up one of those long button down long tunics with the dagged sleeves. First thing I did was alter the sleeves, hate dags.

For shirts Dixie Gun Works has several styles at reasonable prices

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=8279

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_s ... 2a&&page=2
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

Siani wrote:I make mine. I get the linen from Fabrics-store.com, wool from Denver Fabrics or FashionFabricsClub.com or similar...and make the stuff myself. My new shirt is hanky weight grey linen and based off a pattern I got from Joanne's.

Siani

Both of those are excellent sources. But seriously, if you can find a way to sew them, you save money. My machine cost like 110$? or something at an auction. It's not fancy that's for sure, and I've definitly made up that cost 3 times over now.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

He's right. I have three treadle machines, one of them a walking foot design for shoemaking, and we have three electric machines. Anything that cannot be seen is done on machine. All finishing stitches that can be seen when the garment is done are done by hand.

Period Fabrics is another source, as is Renaissance Fabrics.

Siani
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:Eric, for what its worth I had my tunic made about 46" from neck to hem, I'm about 5'10"-5'11" and that hits me mid, or just south, of mid calf . But I strongly advise anyone to go with riding slits or use a traditional pattern with at least two side gores. The Moselund recreation of mine has four gores, two in the side two in the front and riding slits....Its very roomy and easy to move in despite its length.

Hmm, then at 5'7", I should probably look at between 40-43" from neck to hem. That is if I want one to go that far down.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.