Another example of RD's work

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Another example of RD's work

Post by Peter Remling »

I had RD make up a fire steel with a new design. I just wanted to show everyone how it came out. I was going for a spear shaped leaf style similar to the one I had made last summer. RD took the design changed it a little and it came out like this:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure605.jpg

Instead of smooth leaf edges he made them jagged and had the leaf coming out at more of an angle. This edge actually is perfect for fish scaling. Those of you who have been here a while know I like gear with multiple purposes so this is a great idea that was excecuted perfectly.

Yes it makes great sparks too!!

RD is great to deal with too!!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Another example of RD's work

Post by Greg »

I second the notion! He's awesome to deal with. I'm presently about to send him a Money order for a primitive pair of fishing tongs and a custom-designed metal torch topper to contain dripping torch fuel and prevent burning through so many sticks. He's been very flexible and cooperative in the design process through PM's, and offered his services for, I think, incredibly reasonable prices.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Many kind thanks to both of you.

Pete, thank you for posting the pic if ever a man could find another purpose for a firesteel, it would have to be you :lol: I'm glad you like it, amigo! 8)

Greg,

I'm waiting on the weather to clear and I'll get rolling on your torch. I'm sorry for the delays, but as I said I'm going to push for a ship date the middle of next week.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Hey, no problem. I won't be going out again for a few weeks at least.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like the look of that R.D. ! You need a website!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Mirimaran, Thank you, sir.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Greg,

Heres your pliers along with my fishing vest and zebco 33.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6487/f8757c1e58be.jpg

Here they are all by themselves.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/341/923aa7cee610.jpg

Birds head profile, forged from 1/2" stock, specifically for hook removal and clamping down sinkers, the rivet is 1/4", Jaw length: 3 1/2" drawn to a very fine taper and hardened ,overall length is about 8",

They grip a hook really well and leave quite a mark on a sinker too :lol: Hope you like'em.

~R.D.Metcalf

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

No offense RD, but those pliers look quite a bit un-refined. Not in an aesthetic way, but more like they're half finished? Maybe you have better photos? As a fellow metalsmith, I'd be glad to be proven wrong, so maybe you could get some better pictures taken so we can really see them.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Would you care to give some pointers on how they could be 'more refined'?

Also those pics are the best I can do for the time being.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:Would you care to give some pointers on how they could be 'more refined'?

Also those pics are the best I can do for the time being.

Well, I'd need to be able to see them better, hence why I suggested better photos. I could be wrong, so I was just hoping you had more close ups. I'm sure they're fine.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Cedric,

I'm a big boy, more than capable of holding my own hand. You obviously saw something wrong. I would be happy to hear your
thoughts and suggestions. youre not going to hurt my feelings
and your opinion is just as valid as anyone elses'.

Believe it or not I appreciate candor, it shows honesty and interest in helping me improve, thank you, and by all means continue, I'm willing to listen 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Well, again this could be based on image quality. I don't get the impression that the ends of the handles received much thought. They're just squared off. Based on the size of the pliers, there are forms and shaping that could improve the comfort ability of the tool. For that matter the handles appear to be more or less rectangular square stalk, whether you put them that way or that was the original dimension of the material. One of the few lines I appreciated my professor for was "transcend the sheetness". Don't take an 18 guage sheet of metal and make a project that looks like folded 18 guage metal, make it something that is beyond that original form. I still battle with this on the simpler projects. Maybe put a little more effort into really solidifying that design quality to exemplify the form and improve tool comfort. What I am assuming is a hidden-pivot actually looks really good, i like that seamless look, and for the case of fishing I would assume the less needless protrusions to catch on fishing line or gloves the better.

Then there's the really technical stuff that I am still refining in my own work. The curves on the handle arms aren't quite congruent, you have some thickness variation and some radius shifts in there that don't match the aesthetic.

Now granted, being a tool for a customer your aesthetics and forms are based on their requests, but if its within the design plan, maybe consider improvements. Wrap the handles in leather, or even score/chisel a grip pattern into them for wet hands? Rounded or formed handle ends for comfort? I mean, assuming its a ranger tool it shouldn't be super fancy, but that hidden-pivot seams like a good spot to engrave the North Star symbol everyone is so excited about. Stuff like that. Again, most of this could be intentional aesthetic choices based on the project description and customer request, but if all you got was "I want a pair of pliers for fishing, not too fancy since they're for a ranger, not a frilly elf" you could have taken the design further.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Excellent, Thanks Cedric! 8)

On the handles they do look square in the picture but they are simply round stock flattened on two sides, there is a bit of roundness.

Also you hit the nail on the head about the handle terminals, I was using 1/2" round, about 19 long once I got the jaws drawn out I set the rivet hot, adjusted the grip curvature and cut off the excess.

I'm not going to sit here and lie to you, I really didnt have a plan when I started these, I just got a basic idea and kinda played by ear as I went. Forging them was definitely a learning experience and it continues to be.

I'm grateful, Cedric and I'm really taking your words to heart. Many thanks for taking the time 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Well, and see there's some merrit to that. I don't necessarily make a plan for every project, I am definitely an improv craftsman at times, but don't let the improv be used as an excuse to stop half way. If you really push your designs, even if its just an as you go thing, you will find your outcome is much more appealing and satisfying to you as a craftsman. Like I said, the pliers aren't bad, they just look half done.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I liked your idea of a handle wrap, and while I really dont want to put these back in fire, I have gave some thought to flatening and scrolling the grip terminals, or drawing them to a curly Q something similar to the firesteel above.

Many thanks, Cedric 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~