Chess

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Chess

Post by RikJohnson »

One thing I carry with me when I go camping or on multi-day kayak trips is a small portable chess set.

I was wondering about this in the context of Ranging.
If you get stuck with a buddy under the tarp during a long rain, or bored at an inn, a good game of chess keeps the mind active and relaxes the players.

I don't recall if Tolkein mentioned Chess or a chess-like game but the concept is universal. Every nation has something like this.
Many nations have a simplier game like 9-man-morris for those who want a shorter game. Morris can be played with a board scratched in the dirt using rocks and nuts as pieces.

I've been designing a canvas board that turns into a drawstring bag to hold pieces and am making a similar one for Morris and Jetan. But would like a Middle-Earth version too, IF Tolkein mentioned such a game.

anyone have an idea?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Chess

Post by Rifter »

Interesting, I play it at local feasts and such but I really try to limit the weight I need with me when I trek.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

RikJohnson wrote:I've been designing a canvas board that turns into a drawstring bag to hold pieces and am making a similar one for Morris and Jetan. But would like a Middle-Earth version too, IF Tolkein mentioned such a game.

anyone have an idea?
I can't think of any references in Tolkien's work. As for feel, I'd prefer some of the pre-Chess european games. Talf, Morris, and Draughts just feel more Middle Earthy to me.

I have made tafl and morris boards out of leather with the idea that they be folded up and tied with a thong. And my son made me an oak 5-man morris board that was 2" x 2"

Jetan? You really play? Strip Dueling makes more sense now. Just getting down to your Barsoomian harness.

I am also interested in the Royal Game of Ur, but haven't had a chance to find the rules.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I've actually been toying with a bunch of Middle-Earth tavern games (to go with my someday tavern) the last few weeks.

I've done 'Rangers and Orcs' variation on Viking tafl, have been thinking about what one could change to make either a Hobbit or Mannish Middle-Earth chess game (although I sort of don't like chess) and actually have the plans drawn up for a "Castles and Catapaults" that I'm making, inspired by my son's "Battleship" game.

I enjoy doing woodworking in the colder months, so hopefully I'll have some stuff to show by early next year. I've never really done much carving, but I'm thinking of carving pieces for the tafl game.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

caedmon wrote:
RikJohnson wrote:I've been designing a canvas board that turns into a drawstring bag to hold pieces and am making a similar one for Morris and Jetan. But would like a Middle-Earth version too, IF Tolkein mentioned such a game.

anyone have an idea?
I can't think of any references in Tolkien's work. As for feel, I'd prefer some of the pre-Chess european games. Talf, Morris, and Draughts just feel more Middle Earthy to me.

I have made tafl and morris boards out of leather with the idea that they be folded up and tied with a thong. And my son made me an oak 5-man morris board that was 2" x 2"

Jetan? You really play? Strip Dueling makes more sense now. Just getting down to your Barsoomian harness.

I am also interested in the Royal Game of Ur, but haven't had a chance to find the rules.
Caedmon makes some very nice ones I own several and was very happy with them, I take them with me for SCA, Larp and road trips with family.
I have made some boards now that are of tooling leather 3 to 4 oz stuff and I put two dice cups made to match, one on each end, and I keep all the peices inside as I roll it like a map or scroll case. you can decorate the board face and leave the flesh side out or use two thin peices cemented together and tool the outer to match the cups. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ringulf wrote:
caedmon wrote:

anyone have an idea?

Caedmon makes some very nice ones I own several and was very happy with them, I take them with me for SCA, Larp and road trips with family.
I have made some boards now that are of tooling leather 3 to 4 oz stuff and I put two dice cups made to match, one on each end, and I keep all the peices inside as I roll it like a map or scroll case. you can decorate the board face and leave the flesh side out or use two thin peices cemented together and tool the outer to match the cups. :mrgreen:

Do you have any photos?
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Not until I make another, the ones I had were sold, but I was thinking about making some as Christmas gifts so this might be a good opportunity for a tutorial. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

I have a nice Hnefatafl set that seems to be patterned after the Isle of Lewis chess pieces. It has a linen board so it folds up easily in the wooden box that I've reserved for it. I place the pieces in small leather drawstring bags within the box along with the linen board folded up. It's a great game and certainly has a Middle Earth feel to it.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Stormraven wrote:I have a nice Hnefatafl set that seems to be patterned after the Isle of Lewis chess pieces. It has a linen board so it folds up easily in the wooden box that I've reserved for it. I place the pieces in small leather drawstring bags within the box along with the linen board folded up. It's a great game and certainly has a Middle Earth feel to it.
I have that set! I picked it up when I was visiting Ryalston Cave in England. The mayor offered to unlock the gates for me because I had missed the last tour.
My set cane with a wood board and I'm afraid to take it into the woods, only partly because of the weight, but mostly because I'm so terrified of losing or breaking a piece.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

RikJohnson wrote:
Stormraven wrote:I have a nice Hnefatafl set that seems to be patterned after the Isle of Lewis chess pieces. It has a linen board so it folds up easily in the wooden box that I've reserved for it. I place the pieces in small leather drawstring bags within the box along with the linen board folded up. It's a great game and certainly has a Middle Earth feel to it.
I have that set! I picked it up when I was visiting Ryalston Cave in England. The mayor offered to unlock the gates for me because I had missed the last tour.
My set cane with a wood board and I'm afraid to take it into the woods, only partly because of the weight, but mostly because I'm so terrified of losing or breaking a piece.

As you may have read elsewhere, I'm moving from day dream to planning stages for my 'Middle-Earth Inn,' and I want to make a nice table-top set of wooden Tafl and 'Middle-Earth' chess boards and pieces. For my travel Tafl, I just cut some disks of wood from a branch and marked them. That way, if I lose any pieces, I can easily replace them.

I'd love to get a set based on the Lewis chess pieces. Anything on them identifying the company?
Hávamál
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Hand carving, or making a chest set from baked clay is a great idea. Thanks!...This will be a fun project.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.