Altoid Tins

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Altoid Tins

Post by Daerir »

Ive recently taken a liking to Altoids and Ive seen that the tins can be reused as something else and I was wondering if any of you guys used them for things? I have two empty tins I think and Im not certain what I can use them for? Theyre probably to small for first aid kits, but then again I can just use multiple tins.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Altoid Tins

Post by Udwin »

Pretty sure I've seen a few altoids-sized fishing kits out there, and I think I saw one converted into an alcohol-burning backpacking pocket stove. In lieu of proper period tins, I used to use them for making/carrying char-cloth. Of course, a few years back they started embossing the name on the lid which makes the new ones less desirable for old-timey doings.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Well I did take mine and tap the embossment out of the lid, and made sure to dent the top up a tiny bit, not enough that it doesnt shut, just enough to not know what the lid said.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I use them for small sharpening kits, fishing kits and flint and steel tins.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

There was a wonderful feild fletching kit that was shown to us recently that used one.
I have also seen sewing kits and tinder boxes made from them as well. I was given a sack of several dozen with the tandy cell phone case kits that fit them and told to have fun. I am thinking of putting them together with some ideas for use and selling them as kits. I can also sell some of the little leather belt packs if anyone needs them for their altoids tin. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Fire starters: char cloth in a larger one, Vaseline-soaked cotton balls in a small tin.
Fishing kit
Working on a pocket "survival" kit
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Daerir wrote:Ive recently taken a liking to Altoids and Ive seen that the tins can be reused as something else and I was wondering if any of you guys used them for things? I have two empty tins I think and Im not certain what I can use them for? Theyre probably to small for first aid kits, but then again I can just use multiple tins.
I collect them too.
The round ones hold my bowstrings (I pound the words out on my anvil fiost) and fire-starters.
the rectangle ones hold my field fletching gear and char-cloth.
I use a round one to make char-cloth.

They are almost perfect for a hundred projects.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

It's difficult to get those older round ones that are waterproof.
And when you can, they have their name & logo stamped into the lid.

I have the people at work save me their tins and make no distinction... if I can use it, I do "thank you", if I cannot use it, "thank you" and them I toss it at home.

As for the lids...
I lay it on an old I-beam I use for an anvil and go at it with a ball-peen hammer.
it removes the logo and gives a rustic rounded look to the lid.

then some paint that will eventually rub off which adds to the antique look.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.