Food to pack

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Food to pack

Post by Arbellason »

I've looked on here for a while and have noticed that almost everyone mentions carrying a larger selection of cooking ware than I feel is necessary. This has already probably been thought of but it is easier to just carry a small pot to heat water while using a selection of jerky and hard tack for later in travels while using more perishable items early on in travels. It seems that it would save weight and be fairly effective depending on how long one intends to travel. I can already see the downside to my idea though a bit of hot food might be good after being cold for a while :mrgreen: anyone else have the same idea as me or has tried it.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Re: Food to pack

Post by brownl_91 »

Yep you have the right idea. I just use an old metal coffee can, a small one not those big ones. Its the perfect size for me. I carry my food and coffee in it. I usually carry a little oatmeal in case i want a hot breakfast. For dinner I have a mix of white rice, wild rice, Bulgar wheat, and dried mushrooms. During the day and lunch i beef jerky or nuts, depending on what i have in the house. And lately Ive been making biscuits of whole wheat flower, walnuts, flax seed, sunflower seed, cinnamon, and honey. These are pretty dense and filling. And they last a couple of weeks in a bag. If you let them dry out they can last a very long time. With this set up i usually can have filling, healthy meals while on the go. and yes like you, i believe that one pot to boil water is the way to go.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I use a copper corn boiler, sometimes a very small folding cast iron frying pan (rarely). I carry parched corn, jerk, and small sacks of corn meal or flour, raw coffee beans, and at times unsweetened chocolate and perhaps a bit of muscavado sugar (unrefined). Similar to a Longhunters' selection. Occasionally I will carry pemmican.

I have a noggin for drinking; it is just an oak gall that has been cut off, hollowed out, and shaped to be easy to handle. I treat it with tung oil now and then.

The foodstuffs are in linen sacks tucked into the corn boiler and carried in the blanket roll. The parched corn is carried in a long linen tube that slings around my waist or upper body; I can access it on the move as needed. This little bit of stuff can keep me going for quite a long time, several days in fact. Sometimes in hunting season I can augment with harvested game and at other times of the year, nuts and berries.

You do not have to carry a lot, nor a lot of cooking gear, if you do not wish to. It is up to the individual, as are most things in this activity.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Be sure to carry some food that does not need cooking.

I like parched corn mixed with walnuts and dried cherries, mebbe with a touch of brown sugar well mixed in...I like a lot of dried cherries...and will sometime leave out the sugar.

I also carry jerk.

You can go a LONG way just on that...and it is fairly balanced.

BE SURE to drink a LOT of water if you eat parched corn...its "plugging powers" are epic...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

+1 on what everyone else said. Also maybe carry just some plain flour with a little baking soda, or if you want to get really authentic use that fine white ash out of your campfire, and some salt to make bannock.
You can't take the sky from me.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Now to wait for the snow to melt then maybe I can find out where that one trail ends :D
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Whats the cheapest and easiest way to make parched corn
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

With a small copper boiler and a spoon/fork, you can just about put on an eight-course meal. Large amounts of cookware are most definitely not necessary.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

brownl_91 wrote:Whats the cheapest and easiest way to make parched corn
Honestly, Cornnuts. You can sometimes find generic ones in big bins at Wal-Mart for $1 a bag.
You can't take the sky from me.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

but be careful...corn nuts (while delicious) are SALTY!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.