Beef Jerky, how do you do it?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Beef Jerky, how do you do it?

Post by Avery P. »

Howdy fellas, yes I am still around. I don't have time to post much these days, but I thought this topic would do well here. I made some beef jerky this weekend and it got me to thinking. How do my Middle Earth mates make theirs? I use an old recipe that I'm kind of secretive about, but the process is what I'm interested in. If I get store bought meat I use London broil. Put it in the freezer for an hour or so and slice about 1/4" thin or so. I marinade overnight in a wet marinade then I hang the strips in the oven rack. I use bamboo skewers and hang one piece between each slot of the rack, getting about 5-7 pieces per skewer with tin foil on the bottom rack to catch the drippings . I set my oven to 170 and leave the door cracked. dry time is only about 8-9 hours.

So, how do y'all do it?
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Cinead

Re: Beef Jerky, how do you do it?

Post by Cinead »

I cut mine about 1/4" thick. Marinade over night in a bag containing liquid smoke.

I then season....I just use fine kosher or sea salt and a bit of black pepper, coat to taste. I like it a bit salty and peppery, as it seasons stews well without having to carry any thing else.

I then slap it in ye ole dehydrator and watch it....once it "crackles", but doesn't snap in half like a pencil....it's ready!

Store in a cool, dry (dry being key or it will mold) place in a cloth sack....should keep almost indefinitely! Be sure the storage sack breathes or it will mold no matter where it is stored!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I soak my venison in several changes of water with a mixture of Morton's Tender Quick and Sugar Cure--pulls out blood and makes deer taste like beef.
Then cut it pretty thin, 1/4" inch or so, with the grain for jerky, across the grain if it's going to get pounded for pemmican.
Marinade 24 hours in some combination of Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, Kroger generic beef marinade, onion or garlic powder, &c., but hickory liquid smoke for sure.
Put in dehydrator at about 140 degrees (it goes up to 165 but that temp cooks the meat more than jerks it) until it's done--crunchy is too done for my tastes.
If you want a real treat, get a pre-spiral-sliced honey ham (make sure it says Fully Cooked), cut off as much fat as you can, and dehydrate that at 140. Jerked ham makes great rangering rations.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OH! you are killing me here!!! Keep it commin! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I just slice it 1/4" thick, season with sea salt, black pepper, and sometimes garlic and onion. I don't marinade it or use flavorings, just jerk it straight up. Works fine all around by my standards. :) When I can I use the sun to do the job, mostly the oven and a nice drying rack to insert into it. Plain fare for a pretty plain gal.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Ringulf wrote:OH! you are killing me here!!! Keep it commin! :mrgreen:
Heck yeah, keep'em coming! I'm making another batch this weekend. Already got the marinade......marinading. Is that even a word? any way, I'll try to snap some pics of the pieces drying.

@ Udwin - I agree about 140 temperature, hence leaving the door cracked. Any other way and my oven would just cook the pieces.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare