Warriors series on History Channel

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Warriors series on History Channel

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Anyone else on the list been watching the series "Warriors" on the History Channel? The host, Terry Schappert, is a Green Beret who investigates warrior cultures in history, such as the Vikings, Romans, Barbarian and etc. Very enjoyable series! Who else is watching?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I try and catch if I happen to be home from work. The fighting's a little better then the usual history channel fair and overall it's been pretty enjoyable so far. I really like the last one about the Rome and the Germans. I never thought to use a spear that way but I can see how it's completely plausible. Would anyone know if a style like that has ever appeared in a fightbook? The old German books don't seem to have anything like it. Granted I could easily be wrong as I've never gotten to train with a spear as of yet so if anyone could shed some light on this that would be great.
Winter is coming
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I enjoy the series better than B.C. Battles, which owes it's existence to the movie 300, apparently. The blood splash graphics to tend to get a bit old.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the episode you mentioned as well. That was once wicked spear defense, which left something like a 10 foot radius around the warrior, and they said he was swinging the spearhead at 75 mph! I wonder if Gil-galad used his spear the same way.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Warriors Homepage

Caught the Barbarian Massacre or the Battle of Teutoburg Forest. Wasn't impressed. Slow paced and didn't explore that indepth of the two cultures. Only watched for a little, but became bored quickly.

Just saw Viking Terror this afternoon. Much better. More interaction with the LHE interpreters, exporation of their gear, weapons, armor, ships, fortresses, & culture. I really like the weapons expert and the ship's captain.

Don't really care for Terry Schappert's tone. I can't express or explain it, but he sounds too ....condescending, maybe or something, I just can't explain. IMO he sounds like Peter Woodward from Conquest or John Clements from ARMA.

I will check out the others as they air.

At least THE HISTORY CHANNEL is actually showing a historical show. Ax Men, Ice Road Truckers, Gangland, Mega Movers, Shockwave, Shadow Force, & UFO Hunters. Nope, not history.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Mirimaran wrote:That was one wicked spear defense, which left something like a 10 foot radius around the warrior, and they said he was swinging the spearhead at 75 mph! I wonder if Gil-galad used his spear the same way.
Here's some interesting intrepretation, Practical Analysis of the Spear in
Fiore dei Liberi’s Flos Dellatorum and Fillipo Vadi’s Ars Gladiatoria..
The Spear, the King of Weapons
If you search, the document for "swing," you will can see the swinging & striking techniques you're mentioning.

I did happen to see that segment.
1st thought, reminded me of some Wushu / Kung Fu move. Although I recall Chinese spear technique uses spinning or twilling, but grasped closer to the midsection of the shaft, not the butt-end. I believe this is also how it appears in Fiore.
2nd thought, I hope some "hero" sees this show and tries this technique on me. Off-hand block & thrust.
Last edited by Beornmann on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I got like three episodes on my DVR but they are behind my 2 legend of the seekers and 3 heroes and a bunch of other stuff. I will watch them soon hopefully.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

It is a pretty good series.

Beornmann, Terry was in my company over in Germany in the late 90's. He got out to go to NY to become an actor, then came back in after 9/11 and went to 3rd Group. He's always been enthusiastic to say the least, and a good guy, but nothing like John.

Andy
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Andy M wrote:Terry was in my company over in Germany in the late 90's.
I wondered if you'd known him. He looks like Stable from Law & Order: SVU. .
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think his enthusiasm is infectious, and he comes across as someone who is learning as much as we are over the course of the episode. Heck, in the first episode about the Mayans, he sliced his own leg open by accident when swinging an obsidian bladed club, and still continued the segment as they treated the wound. We haven't enjoyed a series on History channel this much since Josh Bernstein was doing Digging for the Truth. Very cool that you know him, Andy!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I saw a couple and he does seem to be interested in the weapons and culture of the episodes. I think some of the reason he comes off a little off, is that it's only a hour show and I'm sure he's not doing the editing.

One of the regulars over a My Armoury appeared in the being of one of the shows and said he liked Terry and thought he was really trying to promote history not hype.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Mirimaran wrote:That was once wicked spear defense, which left something like a 10 foot radius around the warrior, and they said he was swinging the spearhead at 75 mph! I wonder if Gil-galad used his spear the same way.
Similar thread of discussion popped up on the Sword Forum, reagarding Norse Hewing Spear. Not much conclusive primary documentation, but I found William Carew's comment about Jogo do Pau, French Baton and Bastone Siciliano and their use of powerful rotational attacks a good lead into some more reading and experimentation.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

LOL You know, this discussion gets me thinking back to George Silver, disparaging the thrust as that fancy, newfangled Italian stuff, in favor of the downright blow. Of course, he didn't actually regard the thrust as useless, just the methods and practices of the Italian school.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.