Shield/targe cross?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Shield/targe cross?

Post by Jon »

Fellow rangers,

I just thought I'd share my most recent project with you! It's... um - I'm not quite sure what it is. It is the size, shape and has the grip of a Scottish targe, but with a small boss in the middle. The boss is mainly for decoration, so I guess it's a targe...

I just wanted something lighter and faster than my current (and way too thick) round shield. I like how it turned out actually, despite perhaps being a bit ''posh'' for a ranger.
I don't get a lot of missile protection from it, but it's sturdy enough to withstand your regular battlefield weapons, and maybe even a hammer? I hope so, but I haven't tested it with myself behind the shield yet. Anyhow, it's plywood, covered with hardened panels of heavy leather, and with a rawhide edging.

Unfortunately it's not 100% authentic (i.e. screws, wood-stain, staples) but not everything is available right now in Tunis.

The front; notice the vague six-rayed star separating the panels.

and the back of the shield.
The white rectangle is padding covered with canvas and stapled down. The buckled leather strap is screwed and tacked on.

The runes read ''Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions.

The handle (-very ugly.) is wrapped in suede leather and bound. Again, the blacksmith who I work with is away, so I had to use pipe :( I'm really sad about this, but have decided the handle is only temporary until I can forge something with him when he gets back.

And there ya go! Healthy criticism much appreciated, as it is only my second shield! :wink:

Let me know if you want me to post how I went about it as well eh.
Last edited by Jon on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Shield/targe cross?

Post by Ringulf »

Wonderful job my friend!
I for one, would absolutely love to see a step by step, if you have it or at the very least, a narative of your construction methods.
Once again you have proven yourself skillful and resourseful, you never fail to give us a great post!

:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice ! Looks authentic from the front and appears light and serviceable, Great job !
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

I really like it! What made you decide to make another shield?
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

@RangerKellen, three reasons: I love doing practical things (and I must do more of it!), and when I have the materials and the free time, I just can't resist the urge to make something :mrgreen: . Second reason is I needed a second shield to spar with a partner (tired of two-hander or polearm). Third is that my other shield is to heavy for me to wield effectively.

Ok then, as requested:

After having drawn a vague sketch of what I wanted, and then cutting a circle of plywood; I soaked the rawhide to apply it in an hour or so.

The two leather panels are now glued (gorilla glue, clamped and weighted for 15 mins). Covering up the joint, tools at the ready.
Temporarily holding down leather strip while it glues with tacks.

Rawhide is ready, temporarily tacked on:

Rawhide is drying fast, so quickly marking holes for drilling.

Drilling! Fun and tedious.

And finally on to the stitching!! I'd never done it before, so not quite sure what I'm doing, but it seemed to work.

Life before Death.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Continued..... I apologise for the low-quality photos, but I didn't have a camera with me at the time.

Tying off the leather laces, stitching done.

Staining the back of the shield (I'm sorry, I know it's not authentic, but I just can't stand the pale cream colour of plywood)

As I had already put 2 leather strips on to cover the joints between the panels, I decided to add another 4, just for good measure (well to give me an excuse for it being a Dunadan's shield - with a bit of imagination, it looks like a six-pointed star? doesn't it??)

Glued and tacked down (furniture tacks, pretty and give it that 'awesomeness' feel. And now I can call it a targe :mrgreen: )

I did the next stages another day, and my phone was out of battery, so no photos I'm afraid. Anyway:
- I got a load of foam (yes, it's not authentic.... BTW what would they have used), covered it with canvas, and fixed it in place with a staple gun. Grrr! another un-historical method.)
- made the handle: thick piping, hammered flat at either end and bent into shape - remember, it's only temporary. Drilled, glued and screwed.
Wrapped in suede for better grip, and to reduce the shiny-ness.
- Leather strap, buckled, made holes, and cut to length for the arm strap. Drilled, glued and screwed. (and tacked for loveliness!).
- Fitted boss (again screwed. :x )

So, I think my next shield is going to have to be done using only period materials and methods. But hey, I'm happy with it.

Life before Death.
kaelln
Wayfarer

Post by kaelln »

I love it!
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I have been wanting to make one of these for a while. Thanks for the inspiration....yours looks great.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.