Dragons and Ponies

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Dragons and Ponies

Post by Mirimaran »

Hail Rangers,

I am wondering if anyone else out there has a pub or restaurant they like to go to that reminds them of inns in Middle-earth, like The Green Dragon or the Prancing Pony? There is a German restaurant that my wife and I love to go to that has that Old World look and feel, and the food is just like it was when I was stationed in Germany years ago. Every time we go I think of the Prancing Pony and just wish they'd dim the lights and let the shadows play...
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Aye, we have one of those.....

Th Irish Rover! The original on Frankfor Ave in Louisville, Ky!

Good things is that it is our favorite restaurant....AND I get to let my imagination take over when I am there......
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I just had to look that up! What a great place! We have something similar here, though we have never been called the Galway Hooker! My father's people come from Ashland, Ky! Mayhap we are cousins! :D If you ever make it to NC, let me know and we'll hit a pub or 12 :D
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

We have Canterbury ales in Huntington Village. It's a great looking little pub with some good food to boot. I've thought about going in kit but I'm not so sure the Huntington cops would get it.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

mcapanelli wrote:We have Canterbury ales in Huntington Village. It's a great looking little pub with some good food to boot. I've thought about going in kit but I'm not so sure the Huntington cops would get it.
After an SCA event (Celtic Silliness) about 15 years ago, I and another few folkes ended up there in garb. The locals looked at us a little odd and inquired if we were in a play, to which we replied "something like that" . We stayed a few hours and had an excellent time. A great place and I had forgotten the name until Mike mentioned it.

We obviously left our blades in the cars.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Back in my early SCA days, (high school) our local group went to see the movie Excalibur in garb. The theater was in downtown Waikiki, HI. And after fight practice we'd go to a pizza place that had a medieval pub theme, the pizza I usually got was called the Merlin, can't remember the name of the place though.

There is a local Irish Pub here in downtown Bangor that might fit the bill too, The Whig & Currier. It has the feel of a place Tolkien might have a had a bite and a draught at.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

We have a place that would be great BUT its a steak house and saloon so they went with a very heavy cowboy theme. All wood everywhere and some nice dark corners to watch the room from.
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

Down Town Raleigh Durham a Irish pub called Te Na Nog
http://www.tirnanogirishpub.com/default ... ral%20Pics

you can see why its a bit like the Dragoon or Pony

http://www.tirnanogirishpub.com/default ... ili%20Pics

and the food is out standing !
lacking anything clever to say.......
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

San Diego's Gaslamp district is home to an Irish Pub called The Field, which boasts that everything in the entire place, including the cooks, the decor, and the waitresses, is imported from Ireland. They have live music there most nights, and dinner is served on the second floor where candlelit windows give you a view of the sidewalks or an indoor balcony down onto the bar room floor on the lower level. They have live traditional dancers (ever seen riverdance? Yeah...like that) that dance on the bar itself on some nights as well. The place is incredible. Feels VERY otherworldly.
Faolan wrote:And after fight practice we'd go to a pizza place that had a medieval pub theme, the pizza I usually got was called the Merlin, can't remember the name of the place though.
We have a "Round Rable Pizza" here in Glendora (So Cal) that my larp/reenactment group frequents, if that rings any bells...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

THAT'S IT! that's the place we went to in Hawaii when I was was in the SCA in my high school years, Round Table Pizza! Thank you!
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Greg wrote:San Diego's Gaslamp district is home to an Irish Pub called The Field..
Greg,
I happened to eat at that pub last fall while teaching in San Diego. It really is done well. I met a couple of other people from Ireland there. I guess it is a paddy hangout.

Here in Ireland there are many pubs that would fit right in to JRR mythology. Here in Cahirciveen, we have several but my favourite is Mike Murts. During the day the left counter is a handyman's store. The counter on the right always serves pints. In the corner is always a roaring turf fire.

There is something about burning turf that brings in mystery and mythology.......
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Post by Hereward the Wake »

Its not real world but if you want a middle earth Tavern, then check out http://www.bicolline.org
They have built a whol village/town with timber frames houses shops and taverns. So if you are anywhere near Quebec then check it out!
Some of the shots on the website look fantastic, a fair mix of renactment/LARP.

Best
Jonathan
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
http://Www.ehcg.net
RikJohnson

Re: Dragons and Ponies

Post by RikJohnson »

Ye Olde Dubliner in Tucson. The owner purchased a bunch of old pub-acessories and furniture from various pubs in Ireland to create a 'theme bar'.
I was sitting there having some Guiness (I was hungry and Guiness is a meal in a glass) listening t osome Irish musicians jam, with Shea and lookeda round ans commented, "we were at that pub in Ireland!" then "And that one! I remember being there too!"
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Dragons and Ponies

Post by wulfgar »

McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola Fl. is pretty nice.
You can't take the sky from me.