A newly aquired sword

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arlyssen Arlussen
Wanderer

A newly aquired sword

Post by Arlyssen Arlussen »

Hey guys, I recently acquired a four foot sword. *big grin* The only thing is, is there there is some rust on the blade, it does not say what kind of metal was used on it. Just that it was made in pakistan.. I think.... anyway I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Any suggestions on sites? Or anything I can use that would be cheap but effective or most importantly something I would have around the house if you can. Thank you very much.
Arlyssen Arlussen.
P.S. Do not worry the edge is not sharp so you don't have to worry about me losing my temper going after tall people.
Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: A newly aquired sword

Post by BrianGrubbs »

You could always try steel wool and WD-40, works as long as the rust isn't too deep.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Yeah fine steel wool and wd-40 should work. Oh and I would suggest that you DON'T swing it around at all unless/until you are sure that it is well constructed.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I'd go with a green scotch bright and WD-40. If it's deeper than you'll have to use sandpaper. Start with a 600 grit to get the rust off and move to 1000 to restore the finish. Make sure you move in full even strokes from the guard to the tip.
Winter is coming
Arlyssen Arlussen
Wanderer

mcapanelli wrote:I'd go with a green scotch bright and WD-40. If it's deeper than you'll have to use sandpaper. Start with a 600 grit to get the rust off and move to 1000 to restore the finish. Make sure you move in full even strokes from the guard to the tip.
Ummm I would buttt.... my arm doesn't reach from the guard to the tip.. I'm just barely bigger than the sword XD
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Arlyssen Arlussen wrote:
mcapanelli wrote:I'd go with a green scotch bright and WD-40. If it's deeper than you'll have to use sandpaper. Start with a 600 grit to get the rust off and move to 1000 to restore the finish. Make sure you move in full even strokes from the guard to the tip.
Ummm I would buttt.... my arm doesn't reach from the guard to the tip.. I'm just barely bigger than the sword XD
Just go as far as you can and pick it back up to continue the stroke. You'll be fine. By the way, do you have any pictures of the rust spots? It'd make it much easier to give advice.
Winter is coming
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Yes. Or pictures of the sword in general??? :P
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Arlyssen Arlussen
Wanderer

Thanks for the advice the wd-40 and steel wool worked really well. Yes I do have pics but unfortunately this site and my computer don't get along and it will never let me post pictures unless they are in a link and then that link makes the pictures really small. I have pics up on my FB profile but if any of you are on the FB page I can post some there if you like?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Post them of FB and someone s/b able to pull them from FB and post them here.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Just saw pictures of the sword. ***DO NOT SWING THAT SWORD AROUND*** I just noticed the tang is warped. The handle is warped so we can assume the weld opt the rat tail is warped as well. It's a nice piece for costuming but please do not swing or heavens forbid, cut with it. If you do it will experience catastrophic failure. Maybe not he first time or two, but certainly sooner than later.
Winter is coming
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Yep that's a repro Witch-King sword and watch out for that weld! That goes for the UC version as well, ours came broken in the mail!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"