A Challenge

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

A Challenge

Post by jbook »

Hello Rangers!
I am going to make it a goal to get out in the woods in my kit (may even do ranger for the first time) between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I know this is a busy time of year, but even if it's just for a little walk about. You don't have to go spend the night. Anyway the goal here would be to go out, use your knowledge, take some photos, write a log of your journey, make a map, ANYTHING!

We spend a lot of time on this forum talking about things. Let's go put it all to use. This could make for a lot of cool posts with some cool pics and writings of great perils faced in the wilds. And it sounds like their are some contests in the future that involve pics. This would be a great way to get out and take some.

In the word's of Bilbo Baggins :
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Let's go get swept off...
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: A Challenge

Post by Ringulf »

This sounds like a wonderful idea!
I will have to apply myself to how it can be accomplished.
I will be in the woods of Tennesee and most likely have several of my Lady's younger neices and nephews in tow, but since they are all getting fire pistons and filled tinderboxes for thanksgiving (this is when we exchange gifts for Christmas with her family) I think something will be able to be worked out! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Go out and do something? Bedlam! Truly you are an optimist!

I am of the opinion that you word your challenge in too polite a tone. Perhaps we should be more accusing and profess doubt as to how many will actually rise from the beckoning glow of their monitor and take up the call.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I for one would love to. Sadly, I don't really know of anyone who would be willing to go a-trekking with me, and therefore couldn't really document the experience in pictures. But hopefully next week I'll be able to get some anyway, because an acquaintance of mine needs some shots for a photography class. There won't be much actual "rangering" involved, but hopefully I'll get some decent shots out of it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I don't think the unit would appreciate me out in MERF gear over here. That being said, I am planning a couple of treks when I get home both in SC and TX.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

E.MacKermak wrote:I don't think the unit would appreciate me out in MERF gear over here. That being said, I am planning a couple of treks when I get home both in SC and TX.
But it would freak out the enemy! :D

Come home soon!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Manveruon wrote:I for one would love to. Sadly, I don't really know of anyone who would be willing to go a-trekking with me, and therefore couldn't really document the experience in pictures.
One needn't have someone else take photos, nor are photos a requisite at all! The OP suggests that any number of records may be made, not merely photographic. Journal entries, cartographic exercises, sketches, etc., are all possibilities.

It really shouldn't be the object of one's adventures to engage in them merely to say that one did, but to enjoy the doing. So however that occurs, so should it be done.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Excellent point!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I wanted to take the time to thank JBook for setting the challenge before us to in some way honor and participate in some form of ranger activity during the holiday.

I was inspired to do so, and felt that the surroundings I was able to spend it in begged for the activity.

I spent the time not traveling, (56 hours in all) on a wooded farm in the hills of Tennessee. The weather was cool and pleasant and the bright blue sky and light breeze was gentle and refreshing.

I spent time in Brandwyn's fathers saw mill and made axe handles, knife hilts and scales of many types of hardwoods, and inspired by Mssr. Le-Loup and others who suggested that some sawn rounds would be preferable as thrown weapons targets, Gramps and I sawed up quite a few for the upcomong Ranger Moot (which BTW I spent about 12 hours planning with Brandwyn on our drive back to VA, which I count as Ranger command planning and strategy!)

I then put up a large round of oak that was a bit too spungy to last or transport and propped it up on the log pile to practice with the axes and new throwing knifes. I got some of the neices, nephews, brothers and sisters into the act and taught them the elements of throwing as well as the rules of safety.

We finished that day with a long ramble to the Springbeech, a huge beech tree that has a spring that bubbles up from beneath it's massive roots.
As is tradition from generations before us, I carved our Runes gently and carfully into the stately trunk, thanking it for allowing us to leave our marks upon him, that he should bear our stripes into the future with his sacrifice.

Along with prepairing my Norse Apple Bacon (that is always a popular request) I spent the rest of the next day sailing with Brandwyn's youngest brother. And teaching her niece how to sail a small boat.

Though not exactly Rangery per se, harnessing the wind to sail a small boat is always worth while and it's priciples harken me back to Mithlond as we skim over the quiet lake with tiller in one hand and the sheet in the other, their insistent tug to free themselves from my grasp, an ever present reminder to me that I command the ship, and though I cannot predict the wind, I trim the sails and steer accordingly to navigate my course.

It was a wonderful weekend of family and living simply in the outdoors, in a climate I am much more used to. I was thankfull for it and glad to have been challenged to be mindfull of my Ranger family as well.

I will put up some pictures of the events that I hope you will enjoy.
Last edited by Ringulf on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Well done, Ringulf. Sounds like quite some adventures. :)

As for sailing... note that the Rangers were originally a community of mariners. Shipcraft was a necessary skill for those who dwelt on the island of Numenor. Even in the Third Age, there was a Ranger assigned to each of the captured Pelargirian ships after the emergence from the Paths of the Dead and the Release of the Oathbreakers. ;)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ernildhir wrote:As for sailing... note that the Rangers were originally a community of mariners. Shipcraft was a necessary skill for those who dwelt on the island of Numenor. Even in the Third Age, there was a Ranger assigned to each of the captured Pelargirian ships after the emergence from the Paths of the Dead and the Release of the Oathbreakers. ;)
Capital point Ernildir! I wonder sometimes why I seperate the woods and the sea when they are so firmly impanted in who I am!

Whether Dunadain or Viking The song of the blue sea is as strong as the emerald light beneath the cool forest canopy! :wink:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Here are some of the photos from thanksgiving! Enjoy!

Ringulf surveys the damage

Not a bad grouping!

Knife away!

Axe away!

Ranger Brandwyn inspects the spring

Scribing Runes of affection on the Springbeech

Re-setting a place for our feathered friends

Audra throws knives while Trevor and Erik follow Ringulf "Tvier Ox" in looking on

Brandwyn can sure throw that axe!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The last few that support the post:

Ringulf's wood pile, Thanks Gramps!

Gramp's saw mill

Barns are barns all over!

The Mill shed

Here there be dragons!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Great pictures! :)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

great pics thanks for sharing. I think that group would be a dead pin-cushioned goblin.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"