PICS From the First Age!!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

PICS From the First Age!!

Post by jbook »

I have recently been reading "Children of Hurin". I really haven't studied the first age very much and so I thought it was about time to really get familiar with it. So through diving into the Silmarillion and COH, I have come up with a First Age persona. My persona is that of a Farmer of Dor-Lomin answering the call of Hurin to march upon Morgoth during the Battle of Unnumbered Tears.

Here is a little leather wallet lined with linen. It carry's at the moment some fishing gear.

Here is a Kukri knife. I always thought they had a very elven look to them. This may have been given to him but I assume most farmers would not have possesd something so beautiful.

And here is my Turin pose.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: PICS From the First Age!!

Post by Greg »

NIcely done! Looks way better on my PC than it did on my phone. I like the simple garments layered together; looks very low-tech. And even though swords were present in the first age, spears came about first in history, so it makes sense for a farmer to have something more along those lines in the first age.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
jbook

Post by jbook »

Thanks! I really thought it was fitting as well. I like the spear although I hope to get a bit shorter one soon that will be a bit easier to wield.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Like it very much. I thought the spear very fitting and the length is appropriate for a shield wall.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Excellent! I've been ruminating on a Second Age Numenorean outfit myself.

I love the Silmarillion and the Histories, and all the go with them best. :)

Eledhwen, prepared for Opening Day on the morrow!
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I love this type of persona building. It is so much fun to time travel! And time traveling into another world altogether is even more exciting! Great job!
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Very inspiring. Aurë Entuluva! Day shall come again!
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
jbook

Post by jbook »

Ringulf wrote:I love this type of persona building. It is so much fun to time travel! And time traveling into another world altogether is even more exciting! Great job!
:mrgreen:
It is fun. Historical reenacting being my main focus, persona building is an ongoing hobby of mine. I love digging into the past, finding what they had available to them and using them. By the way I will take this time to promote a friends project.
A new magazine has come out this past year in the historical reenacting world called 'Journal of the Early Americas'. This magazine focuses from the years 1521 to 1848. It is full of great articles on various aspects of colonial life in America including food, making of historical items, military life, different aspects of culture etc...
It is very VERY good and even though it's not ME related it would be a great asset to any of you who hit the woods or are wanting some inspiration on creating a historical persona.
http://www.journaloftheearlyamericas.c ... s-jea.html
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

It looks very authentic and just as I would have imagined! Where did you get the Kukri from?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Looks great!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
jbook

Post by jbook »

I bought the Kukri at a Gun show that my dad was set up at. I was helping him out and the guy next to us was from Nepal. He was selling various Napalese items and he had a bunch of these knives. I looked through a book he had there of these guys sitting in huts on dirt floors hand forging and making every part of these beautiful knives and I just had to buy one. I had bought it before I started doing the LOTR reenacting thing. I really bought it cause I wanted to have something of Nepal because my Grandma was sort of a world traveler and had been to Nepal several times. It was one of her favorite places. I believe you can buy them online.http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Post by Hereward the Wake »

Nice kit!
Do you have a link to a pattern for the belt pouch pictured?
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
http://Www.ehcg.net
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

great pics as always
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Great Kit.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Hereward the Wake wrote:Nice kit!
Do you have a link to a pattern for the belt pouch pictured?
Seconded! I'd like to see one as well!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"