Sword Recommendations

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Sword Recommendations

Post by Aaron »

kaelln wrote:Sonny told me a couple of months ago that they would make it to order. I asked how much, and he was supposed to get a quote from Gus. I haven't heard back from him yet, and in fact I just emailed him a couple of days ago. I'm still waiting on a reply.
Try calling him during business hours. A lot of people on SBG are having trouble getting a hold of him electronically as well. He gets swamped with work and tends to respond to emails sparingly.
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

RangerKellen wrote:I also prefer short sword in right hand and tomahawk in left. But I do agree that even though I'm a little on the weak side, :) , the average sword isn't that heavy.
You would love this sword as it is light and strong and extremely sharp
and a great value, comes with a nice scabbard too. I really like mine in every detail. The AT303S may not be the answer for everybody but as Aragorn might say "it is good sword"

Image The Queen of Light took her bow and then she turned to go
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom and walked the night alone
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Aaron wrote:
kaelln wrote:Sonny told me a couple of months ago that they would make it to order. I asked how much, and he was supposed to get a quote from Gus. I haven't heard back from him yet, and in fact I just emailed him a couple of days ago. I'm still waiting on a reply.
Try calling him during business hours. A lot of people on SBG are having trouble getting a hold of him electronically as well. He gets swamped with work and tends to respond to emails sparingly.
Or use the contact form on the CSS site, I always have better luck getting a reply that way than just e-mail.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Fallsofdragon wrote:
RangerKellen wrote:I also prefer short sword in right hand and tomahawk in left. But I do agree that even though I'm a little on the weak side, :) , the average sword isn't that heavy.
You would love this sword as it is light and strong and extremely sharp
and a great value, comes with a nice scabbard too. I really like mine in every detail. The AT303S may not be the answer for everybody but as Aragorn might say "it is good sword"

Any pics of you with the sword? I was a little disappointed in the small, low-detail pics Valiant had of it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Jonathan B. wrote:This might help. http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/arming-sword.html
That is a review of the older, first generation sword. The new swords are much (MUCH) lighter, and do not feel as solid IMO. I owned a first generation sword, as well as a second gen, and a Signature Crusader which uses the third gen blade. The current swords are nice, no doubt about it. Excellent leatherwork and great edges. But they are extremely neutral in the hand and feel more like a civilian blade or a riding sword than something I would feel comfortable taking into battle against any opponent clad in armor heavier than leather. It just has this "delicate" feeling to it.

Your mileage may vary, we all prefer different qualities in our blades. Just giving my personal experience.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Remember I AM selling a custom type XII at a very reasonable price....... I'm not kidding. Click Here To Check It Out See, I wasn't kidding.
Winter is coming
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Aaron wrote:
Jonathan B. wrote:This might help. http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/arming-sword.html
That is a review of the older, first generation sword. The new swords are much (MUCH) lighter, and do not feel as solid IMO. I owned a first generation sword, as well as a second gen, and a Signature Crusader which uses the third gen blade. The current swords are nice, no doubt about it. Excellent leatherwork and great edges. But they are extremely neutral in the hand and feel more like a civilian blade or a riding sword than something I would feel comfortable taking into battle against any opponent clad in armor heavier than leather. It just has this "delicate" feeling to it.

Your mileage may vary, we all prefer different qualities in our blades. Just giving my personal experience.
Ah I didn't realize they had changed that much.
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Thanks for the links and pictures guys!!! :D I really like the AT303S Practical Arming Sword! I HAVE to get it!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

If you're looking for an inexpensive short sword, similar to the roman Gladius, there is always this one
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1059-qa ... oduct_Plus&
The Kindjal on this site would also be a good option, my brother has one and he loves it.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

I agree with Aaron about how light the new AT303S swords are, mine at 2 lbs. 2 oz.
I prefer beefier but then I'm sort of beefier too! :)
But it's a cool tool for the price, VA makes nice swords
so does Gen2, the Knights Riding Sword in the middle here is another great value and comes with a good scabbard, The big one Gen2 12th Century sword is more of a serious battle sword than the VA AT303S
I think it's over 3 lbs.

Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Wow!What model is this dagger?
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

shadowshutter wrote:Wow!What model is this dagger?
It is a Gen2 12th Century Dagger, it is very cool and super sharp,
and actually a handful, here's the link where I obtained these Gen2
medieval blades.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... ury+Dagger
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Very nice!
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Today we have a few great options for lower priced quality blades. One such is the Windlass Create your own. For a modest $189 you get to customize a single hander. For another $100 or so a quality scabbard.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/c-135-cre ... sword.aspx

So far most seem very satisfied with their purchases.