New-er-er Dwarves!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: New-er-er Dwarves!

Post by Mirimaran »

Jonathan B. wrote:I quite agree I'm not terribly thrilled with most of them either. Oin and Gloin are the only ones that look decent. Also I don't get the argument that they have to make them drastically different from each other so we can tell them apart that's what the differently colored hood are for.
I agreem Jonathan. I've made the argument that for them to say that, it almost sounds a bit racist. They go from one extreme to the other, and most are looking a bit comical. Again, waiting for some footage to see how they look in character.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Okay, comparing this group to the others, these look like the Three Stooges, you've got Curly on the left, then Larry and Moe all the way on the right.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I am kind of disappointed with much of the Dwarven outfits so far. I hope they improve.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I agree..... I'm all for artistic interpetation but....damn :shock:

However at least the other two look cool, with Hollyweird you have to accept the small victories and take the bitter with the sweet,I havent lost hope....And if it all does go completely tits up when the film is released at least we still have the book 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

HMMM I like Bombur...Bombur is Bombur, though I am having a hard time seeing if he is holding a mace or a large, teflon, ice cream scoop...knowing Bombur it could work either way!

Biffer is pretty neet I kinda like the mongol flavored hat and the Hammer/adze.

Bofer is pretty kooky looking, a little to deathmetal with that hair, but believe it or not, that pole axe is almost right out of a Tolkien Moria RPG suppliment!

The Stav axes look alot like that and was patterned after a Norwegian whaling axe (actually used in combat!) no kidding!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Well, artistic interpretations aside.....this excites me because each year I teach The Hobbit to my freshman classes!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
jbook

Post by jbook »

I will say this though...Peter Jackson...one of the greatest Directors of ALL TIME!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Balin and Dwalin!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I hope Balin is the big one with the hammer I really can't see the little old guy on the left leading a dangerous expedition into Moria sometime after this and surviving for quite a while in such a hostile environment. I thought they might have at least an "omage" To the axe Gimli later gets at the chamber of Marzarbul...ah well still time, these are only promo pictures!

Don't be too disheartened folks! Alot of this is just trying to set a platform for characterization and give something for the actors to work with, The real test will be when we see them in clips and get some personality to go along with the pictures.

Have you ever seen a picture of someone you have not met yet, then when you meet them they are nothing like you imagined from their picture?

Yes there are some strange interpretations here, but I remember myself being overly critical of some of Jackson's descisions in the previews of the trilogy, and I was proven very wrong.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
jbook

Post by jbook »

I would say Balin is the one with the white beard. Finally they have done one of the dwarves at least close to what Tolkien described. Balin had a white beard and looked old, with a scarlet hood. His coat here appears to be scarlet.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ah you are absoulutely right, I stand corrected. and he does look pretty much as Tolkien described him. Still...
Good luck in Moria chum, we all know how that turned out!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Spoilers LOL

j/k I hope we get to see that!

Ken
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/07 ... d-orcrist/
So looks like Orcrist will be a two handed leafblade.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Leafblade good
Hand and a Half- ok
but single branched guard ?- C'mon !!!