Renaming contest

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Renaming contest

Post by Eric C »

After a little discussion, we decided on one name per contestant.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Suzanne
Wanderer

Post by Suzanne »

Okay, that makes sense, especially since you will be doing a poll to decide on the winner. Now I just need to decide which of my five names I like best...
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Just to update, I annealed the knife and started rough grinding mostly to get the forge scale off of it. Charcoal left more scale that was harder to get off. :? I think it has something to do with the learning curve I'm in at the moment. But I'm hoping to heat treat/temper tomorrow. Keep in mind that I am trying an edge quench on this one. I'm working on several "firsts" during this lay-off week.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Suzanne
Wanderer

Post by Suzanne »

Okay, here it is!

I think that the perfect name would be Silmeindil, which is Quenyan for (at least it's supposed to be) 'Starlight Flower', or 'Flower of Starlight'. I think that it is a great name, because I tend to like names that have something to do with nature.

The blade of the knife is like starlight, because it's silvery/shiny, and the flower is so nice and pretty and feminine, I just wanted to stick that in. :lol:

Please correct me if I got the translation totally wrong. I got this out of an online dictionary. I'm not even sure how to pronounce this, but I liked the meaning and it sounded nice. ^_^
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Suzanne wrote:Okay, here it is!

The blade of the knife is like starlight, because it's silvery/shiny, and the flower is so nice and pretty and feminine, I just wanted to stick that in. :lol:
But... I was going to blue the blade! No, just kidding. :P
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

All right. It's time to revive this thread and contest with some long overdue progress pics!

Comments: I failed at the edge quench on this one, but I did harden her nicely and she has a nice temper. In the pics I have sanded her to 220 grit. I am debating whether or not to polish with 600 grit. Most of my knives are only polished to 400 grit which leaves it with a good finish for a working blade. What do my contestants think? What grit should I go with?

Now, on with the pics! Maybe you can see a difference from the first pics to these. :roll:

So what I need you to do: Let me know what you think about the grit to which I sand it, and if you haven't come up with a name, you still have time.

New folks: Check out the rules for the contest on the first page of the thread and get involved!
Happy naming!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'd keep it at thge 400 grit working finish. I loved the finish on mine, but wasn't afraid to get it dirty/use it. If it shone like a lot of show/collector's knives, the winer might be scared to put it to work, and I (personally) think that'd be a shame.

It's looking gorgeous, Eric!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks Greg. That idea seems pretty common in the knifemaking community. Most of us don't make knives for show. They're users. A fine finish makes folks afraid to use them.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

If you are still accepting names I could put in a submission.

It is actually one I had entertained for a series of three blades that were to be increasing in size like a Tanto, Wakazashi and Katana set and since your knife is a big sister to the original I thought I would throw this out to you.

These are all in Sindarin and are arranged: Smallest to largest:

Ringiel- cold daughter/maiden

Ringhiril- cold lady

Ringbereth- cold queen

The length of the name grows with the legnth of the blade. I thought that the feminine stations would fit nicely in a set (like the Norns) and that the cold prefix was appropriate for their natures as blades of war. (along with the fact that I get to put a little bit of me in there in the process! lol)

I know this is three names but it was for a set and I would not want you missing the other two no matter which one you thought most appropriate for this particular blade.

Please feel free to use any or all but if you do not need them, I know they will eventually be used in a set of my own. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ringulf wrote:These are all in Sindarin and are arranged: Smallest to largest:

Ringiel- cold daughter/maiden

Ringhiril- cold lady

Ringbereth- cold queen

The length of the name grows with the legnth of the blade. I thought that the feminine stations would fit nicely in a set (like the Norns) and that the cold prefix was appropriate for their natures as blades of war. (along with the fact that I get to put a little bit of me in there in the process! lol)

I know this is three names but it was for a set and I would not want you missing the other two no matter which one you thought most appropriate for this particular blade.

Please feel free to use any or all but if you do not need them, I know they will eventually be used in a set of my own. :mrgreen:
I'll accept names until the end of August. So, pick one for the contest. :wink:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK I will go down the middle with Ringhiril - Cold lady since then you can go up or down if you want to later on.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay folks, I guess you were wondering what happened to this contest. It's one of the balls that got dropped when the computer - and my spirits - went down. I'll be contacting the guy that does my casting for me before too long. It's about time to finish this one up. I'll keep everyone updated.

Now for your opinion: Do you think there should actually be a pommel instead of a butt-cap? I'm starting to think there needs to be a better counter-balance for this knife. What do you think?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'd like to see a flattened pommel, preferably in steel, so that it can be used to hammer.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Im not an expert, but for that blade style, I'd say just put a butt-cap on. It'll make it look more like a knife. I think pommels on knives look strange- as if they are wanna-be daggers.
This guys talks about the common misconception that pommels were counter-weights. I'm not sure if I totally agree with him but it's an interesting vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szn6AHiQqto

He has some other interesting vids as well.

Oh! and another 'advantage' that someone says in the comments is that if you do have a pommel, you can unscrew it and throw it at your opponent! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The reason that I ask is that I was comparing the last D-Sis I sold to the Kabar that E. Mac sent me. The Kabar is nearly two ounces heavier than the D-sis, but it feels lighter and quicker in the hand. It was as if in one hand I held a Kabar and in the other I held a crowbar. :o I don't know, Pete, you own a D-Sis. How does it handle to you? That goes for anyone else who owns the D-sis.

If I make the parts in steel, I may be able to finish it sooner and draw this contest to a close.

Dirhael: Don't know if I agree with the guy in the vid. I may, but not certain yet. He was entertaining though.

So, back to the steel vs bronze. What if I leave that option open to the winner? What is the concensus?

As for the pommel vs butt cap I'll go with what the majority says.