New Face at the Inn

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: New Face at the Inn

Post by Manveruon »

Haradir wrote:Mae Govannen! Welcome to the forum!

Your Ranger (and pirate) outfits looks outstanding! I especially love the way your mantle looks. I been meaning to make one of my own for a while now. Would you happen to have a pattern or any tips for a fellow Ranger?
Thanks again everybody! It's great to get such a wonderful reception!

As for the hood, I drafted the pattern myself. It was honestly about the easiest thing in the world to do, believe it or not. It's loosely based on several period examples, but I did take a good deal of artistic liberty. I wanted it to somewhat resemble the suede hood Russel Crowe wears in the new Robin Hood (a highly underrated movie in my opinion, but I digress), because I liked the splits in the front and over the arms, but I wanted mine to be cloth instead of leather. I also made the pattern somewhat square in shape, instead of rounded at the bottom, because I liked the more angular look it gave. I left the bottom edges unhemmed and instead just did a blanket stitch around the whole thing. I think this gave it a nicely rustic look.

Beyond that it was just a matter of measuring myself, and a lot of trial and error. I just made a pattern on some brown paper and then went to town. It was actually my first 100% independent sewing project ever, and I think it turned out very well. Nearly all visible seams are hand-stitched, except the hem on the hood, and the hem on the very front vent, but I may take out the machine stitching and re-do it by hand for a more authentic look.

Since doing the hood I've sewn an under-tunic and a supertunic (seen in the pictures), and all visible seams on those really are hand-stitched. I find it oddly satisfying, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Everything looks really great!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

the pics look great cant wait for more
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Manveruon wrote: As for the hood, I drafted the pattern myself. It was honestly about the easiest thing in the world to do, believe it or not. It's loosely based on several period examples, but I did take a good deal of artistic liberty. I wanted it to somewhat resemble the suede hood Russel Crowe wears in the new Robin Hood (a highly underrated movie in my opinion, but I digress), because I liked the splits in the front and over the arms, but I wanted mine to be cloth instead of leather. I also made the pattern somewhat square in shape, instead of rounded at the bottom, because I liked the more angular look it gave. I left the bottom edges unhemmed and instead just did a blanket stitch around the whole thing. I think this gave it a nicely rustic look.

Beyond that it was just a matter of measuring myself, and a lot of trial and error. I just made a pattern on some brown paper and then went to town. It was actually my first 100% independent sewing project ever, and I think it turned out very well. Nearly all visible seams are hand-stitched, except the hem on the hood, and the hem on the very front vent, but I may take out the machine stitching and re-do it by hand for a more authentic look.

Since doing the hood I've sewn an under-tunic and a supertunic (seen in the pictures), and all visible seams on those really are hand-stitched. I find it oddly satisfying, heh.

My thanks to you! You are a gentleman and a scholar! I hope you don't mind if I borrow a few elements of your mantle? I really like that angular look you mentioned.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Not at all! I love sharing garb tips! Actually, I'll go ahead and start another thread too, with a rough picture of the hood pattern I used.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains