Ranger Fitness?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Ranger Fitness?

Post by Dailir »

Haha I refuse to work out in the "traditional" sense. Instead I am on a competitive swim team, and so I go swim for 2 hours nearly every day. Plus I'm on a sports team, and so I do a lot of running around just playing the game as often as I can. I find that just being physically active is as good a workout as any, and have found no reason to go do "traditional" work outs. Besides, thats more accurate historically, right? :)
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Drogo Greenhood
Wayfarer

Post by Drogo Greenhood »

Yeah! Right on Aqua-Ranger! Whatever works for the individual free-ranger, the true Army of One.
Blessed Be, the Hooded Hunter.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

With respect, to the those who are armys of one, I'm an army of two Ranger (my horse) is the star athlete of my team in addition to being my primary weapons platform. I strive to keep fit out of respect for my horse, as he literally has to "carry the team" .....and hes the only team member who can swim :mrgreen: My method is simple I work myself on the same trails he does, If I ride him at speed over a rough trail for X amount of time....I will do the same on my own two legs.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Drogo Greenhood
Wayfarer

Post by Drogo Greenhood »

Ah Ranger Metcalf, we shaint forget the horses and other hooved creatures, companions or beasts of burden. Rue the day that they be forgotten. Indeed, they shall be remembered!
Blessed Be, the Hooded Hunter.
appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by appalachianranger »

Aqua ranger! I love it!
So that is how the ancestors of the Dunedain survived the downfall of Numenor!
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I manage about 1 hour of archery, 2 hours of ultimate Frisbee and 1.5 hours of fencing a week. I don't really have time for more than that, but I do more when I can. I'm trying to do Judo as well, just need to find some time for it. Don't see what ultimate frisbee would do for my ranger skills?? (unless some random orcs invented a Frisbee with blades on it :twisted: )

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Dirhael wrote:Don't see what ultimate frisbee would do for my ranger skills?? (unless some random orcs invented a Frisbee with blades on it :twisted: )
Cardio, hand eye coordination, throwing accuracy, works several different muscles.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Historical trekking, snowshoeing, skiing, hiking, backpacking, long walks at brisk pace, making stuff, tomahawk drills, archery, shooting...all sorts of things. All of them keep me active..and active is the operative word.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Oissene
Wayfarer

Post by Oissene »

Alexandros...Thank ye for tha information and tha backround reasons for thy approach....A Great thread!
watchinglisteningdefending
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Defineitely!

The thread came at a good time for me, as it got me thinking about my workout and how to get my head back into getting healthy!

Along with my Stav stances and weapon work (mostly axe, sword and seax right now) I have been hiking, swiming, axe throwing and shooting (archery).

I have also done some excursions in the kayak and canoe. I hope to be camping tonight during one of our SCA demos.

All in all I think if I continue with these activities I will be back on the road to better health!

So I thank you for getting us to take a closer look!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: