New-er-er Dwarves!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: New-er-er Dwarves!

Post by Ringulf »

OK just checked the Hobbit blog and it is Fili and Kili the youngest of the dwarves (they don't look much like brothers to me, and in my minds eye for some reason I saw them both as blondes) ah well...I'm sure we will eventually love them all.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:Ringulf, nothing relevent to the thread but I love your tag line 8)

Based, unless I miss my guess, on the words of Skirnir, vassel of Freyr to the giantess that would be his lords bride: "Fearlessness is best for the man who sticks his nose out of doors, the day of my death was fated long ago."

You nailed it!

The actual quote is from the thirteenth warrior just before they turn in for the first night in Hrothgar's hall, but I am sure that was it's original inspiration as with the Havamal these lines would have been like quoting scripture!

As far as beards go, I tend to agree, I mean they are young dwarves but jeez! give them some dignity!
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Suzanne
Wanderer

Post by Suzanne »

Even though everyone else has said this, I will repeat it. They need beards! They have this scrubby stuff looks like it's only been growing for a few weeks! I have always pictured dwarves with beards at least 5 inches... Hopefully they are still working on growing beards, maybe they wanted real beards for the movie?

As for the costumes, I love them! The coats and boots and quivers are fantastic, at least the costume designers did their homework.

I think I recall that either Fili or Kili had an especially long nose. Am I imagining things? I remember it from when they were captured by the spiders and were wrapped up in webbing, and one of them could breath better because of his long nose. Don't quite remember which dwarf that was. :? :lol:

I really hope that this movie turns out well, I love the book and have read it 5(?) times since Eric first introduced it to me 4-5 years ago.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I believe you are correct about the younger brothers having long noses! As for beards, I play a dwarf in my larp and had to wear a false beard to be distinguished from some randome guy with a normal one, but the thing was uncomfortable and stunk after a day or so in it, so I grew my own.

Where I was goin with that was the fact that I needed at least 4 or 5 inches of beard to be convincing and even though I am pretty dwarvenly proportunate if not standing next to anyone (6 foot dwarves have to work harder at getting the look) I still had to tweek some other stuff costuming wise to make it believable!

I know you guys say you like pictures, I feel a little funny about it but hey, at the very least you can use them as rodent control if you enlarge them!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh very kool outfit!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

my newer shield is a bit better I carved a bear boss out of open cell foam and duct taped it. my sheild bashing has become much more humane! lol

We have affectionaty named him Boo Boo as that is what those who are sheild bashed with him recieve (not really, it is more like a pillow fight!)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice costume and the beard does look dwarven.

Yes ! We love pics !
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Amazing pics! Certainly the best non-Weta Dwarf costume I've ever seen.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Really great sculpting job on the bear boss!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thank you very much!

The only items not handmade by myself are the boots and belt buckle! lol (I need to get out more)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Anyone tell you that you have this Robert Baratheon vibe going on? :D excellent pics!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

No but now that you mention it...a few more years and a couple more pounds and I could at least be mistaken for a relative!

I have not been able to catch the new series yet my son and I got through all three seasons of the BBC Robin Hood, then the BBC Merlin. Game of thrones is the next one on the hit list!

I enjoyed Mark Addy as Roland in Knight's tale and he made a great Fryer Tuck!

We do have one thing in common for sure:

jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by jbook »

Well I have put off giving my thoughts cause I wanted to let the images settle in my mind. I have to say I am not happy with them.

I posted a brief article on into the wild.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I quite agree I'm not terribly thrilled with most of them either. Oin and Gloin are the only ones that look decent. Also I don't get the argument that they have to make them drastically different from each other so we can tell them apart that's what the differently colored hood are for.