Need help with a decision

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Which trip to take a pair of comerades on in the Fall (read below first)?

One: Scenic Paddle, Uphill hike, Cedar Forest destination
35%
Two: Flat land hike, twice the distance, waterfall at destination
65%

Total votes: 17
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Need help with a decision

Post by Greg »

I apologize in advance for cluttering up the forum with this, but I just can't make up my stinkin' mind. I'm planning a short group trek for the next time David and one of our other friends is up in Nor Cal, and I just can't decide where to take them. So help me out here.

Option number one, in detail:
Paddle west up the calm, picturesque Pope Canyon, which I've shown pictured here numerous times (see my "High Seat of Amon Hen" picture) 1.2 miles, park the canoe in the bushes and hike somewhat uphill ~1.5 miles south into the Cedar Roughs, a gorgeous large land mass of dense Cedar forest. Base camp there.

Option number two, in detail:
Hike West across pretty much flat terrain, occasionally turning northwards along the creek, five miles to a gorgeous 90-foot waterfall. Base camp at the top.

They're both pretty, they both are nearby, and they're both trips doable in an afternoon. I just can't decide! I've been to both, and they each have water sources, comfy ground to sleep on, and have nice acoustics for music at night around the fire. I have a fire permit for both locations as well.

Thoughts? I just can't decide. Gonna drive me crazy. So let's take a vote, and see where it goes.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Need help with a decision

Post by Peter Remling »

I like the idea of the canoe trip, but as I havn't seen the waterfalls in pics yet, I voted for the hike and falls. Purely self-centered I know, but wasn't the universe built around me? :lol:
David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by David »

FLAT PLEASE! =)
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

David wrote:FLAT PLEASE! =)
I voted for the flat hike based on the recommendation of one of the participants. :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Seems like the canoeing (sp?) would be more of an adventure, but like Eric I voted for the flat because that's what David wants! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oh, Dave...you can take it...

I would've just asked the participants...but this is more fun. Bear in mind, Dave...it is five miles... ;D
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

I'm partial to the the canoeing
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Taurthir
Wanderer

Post by Taurthir »

Its a hard choice but id say flat. Rangers are landworthy creatures and I must say personally my heart lies in nature's lifeblood, the forest. Though Amon Hen sounds like fun but only if there were some reasonable walking/travelling by foot involved too.
Greg wrote:Bear in mind, Dave...it is five miles... ;D
5 Miles is nothing especially on flat terrain. Try crossing dense bushland in a roasting sun and trying to dodge poison everywhere you look as well as avoiding the hundreds of hidden ankle traps set out by the forest.

To top it off try doing it why you have the fear of fierce and hostile drop bears... ok ok Drop Bears dont exist and we are not primitive and we dont ride to school on kangaroos but you'd have to be grossly unintelligent to believe these exist in Australia.

Good luck!
"Let us together rebuild this world that we may share in the days of peace."
Taurthir of the Forest Guard. Yes my cloak needs some darkening
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well, I think it's obvious that everyone here is out of shape...

JUST KIDDING!

Y'all just made this easier for me. I, myself, will take the canoe trip+the hike up the hill into the Cedar forest in a few weeks with the dog as my first trek for the fall (just waiting for mother nature to make up her mind and actually start getting chilly during the day so I can use my wool kit again!), and I'll save the other for when my comrades return. They're missing out, though...the Cedars are beautiful.
Last edited by Greg on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taurthir
Wanderer

Post by Taurthir »

Sounds good. Half of my best adventures were during the dead of winter where the waters so cold itill shatter your bones and the high mountains and lakes are invisible because of the morning mist. Its so beautiful

For those that dont know I speak of out pocket of life in this wasteland, Nymboida river

This is about as green as it gets
"Let us together rebuild this world that we may share in the days of peace."
Taurthir of the Forest Guard. Yes my cloak needs some darkening