Topo Maps

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Topo Maps

Post by Addreonynn »

So a problem that i've found is finding a good map of an area. With conservation maps, you get a poor general idea. Google has so many trees in the way, you can't tell anything! A good topo map is what I've been looking for, but I don't wanna pay 30 bucks for a map! http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php and change the top right setting from t1 terrain to t2 my topo usa/can.

gets u a look like

simply screen shot that, and save in paint, and print, and play, and keep wondering why i keep saying "and"... :twisted:
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Re: Topo Maps

Post by brownl_91 »

I agree, finding good maps are hard. A good place for topo maps are mytopo.com and then do a screen shot. However, where i live a high resolution aerial map is best since there isn't a lot of elevation change. I am still a student so I have free access to the ArcMap GIS program...I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I graduate.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

You might also try checking your state's Geological Survey page. For example, Kentucky's hosts hi-res topo maps (in PDF!) available for free.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Ya Wisconsin used to have free high res maps but then they stopped doing it because of budget cuts
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

I looked into missouri's and they don't cost nearly as much! i wish they were free like yours tho lol thnx for the tip!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods