The Hunt begins...soon

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

The Hunt begins...soon

Post by Eledhwen »

In ten days the Whitetail hunting season for archery begins here. For other larger game too, but it is usually marked by the start of deer season. This year I plan to be doing some overnights on private property to better facilitate being in place come that half hour before dawn.

Being a member of St. Huberts' Rangers too, I will have a camera along should I happen to take game. I will endeavor to get some pictures of the campsite I am in and the area in general.

Many prayers to Oromë, Artemis, Herne, and St. Hubert indeed. :)

What I really want is a turkey. If I can ever manage to bag one I will call myself a Huntress.

Using my longbow for these hunts, along with the arrows I have made myself. My garments will be appropriately medieval which is to say not much different from my Ranger kit, made of wool and by my own hand, and I will be using my bedroll and likely my grey cloak since the nights in the hills around here get cold this time of year.

This year I am hunting Whitetail Deer, Black Bear, Wild Turkey, Rabbit, Pheasant, Quail, and likely coyote too. Need some hides to tan and furs are always nice. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: The Hunt begins...soon

Post by Straelbora »

Good luck! Looking forward to some great photos. I haven't been hunting since I got married (5 years now) and I guess once my boys get a little older and easier for just one parent to handle over night, I'll get back out there. I've never bow hunted and would love to give it a try.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Best of luck and enjoy the hunt. A detail story of your trip may be in order when you get back. I'd like to hear all about it.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Good Hunting My Lady! St. Hubert's Blessings be upon you! I will also offer up a prayer to Uller so you can have a Norse blessing as well! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Good Luck, Stay safe and warm !
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

The best of luck, Eledhwen!!! Can hardly wait to hear your tale afterwards! Our thoughts and prayers go with you!
Sindara and Turnip
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

I wish you luck in your adventure, and can't wait to see your pics and hear your stories!!!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Thanks for the good wishes.

Ringulf: Skadi is the one I turn to. :) The more the merrier, as it were.

When I finalize the gear list I'll post it up, likely shortly before I leave Randiromar for the Hithaeglir foothills.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Greetings, Eledhwen!
I just read your notes (Forandir)...You are such an inspiration! Would love to one day meet, and spend some time with you! Thanks so much for your sharing! Sindara
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

*blush* Er..thank you. I just...do what I do.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Best of luck with the hunt and your travels. Dusty will be taking to the skies with me in short order, once his molt completes, pursuing the ever-present rabbit and squirrel, so we'll be joining you in your endeavors. I, unfortunately, due to a job change, don't believe I'll be able to partake in this years' bow season.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Good luck to you on the hunt, good lady! :) I am eager to hear of your adventures and how your gear did on the overnights!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

What is your set up when you hunt? I want to do a weekend hunt trip with my bow and I'm trying to figure out the best set up for my bedroll and back-quiver...and also a way to carry the bow when its not in use. Any suggestions or tips?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I can only tell you what I plan to bring this time around;

Linen tunic
Linen pants

Wool tunic
Wool pants
Wool socks
Wool Coif (Blaze Orange)

Linen lined Wool Hood & Mantle (Green or Blaze Orange)
Late surcoat (Blaze orange)

Brown Leather Medieval Boots (calf high turned cuff variety)
Black Leather Gloves with Green Embroidery
Brown leather shoulder bag
Brown leather belt pouch
Various smaller pouches to go into the larger ones carrying sewing kit, toiletries, archery maintenance kit, first aid kit, strike a light bag
Need Wallet

Blanket roll; wool blanket with copper corn boiler, various foodstuffs, extra socks and similar inside
Cloak maybe, if the weather is cold
Quiver with spare arrowheads, tapering tool, beeswax, extra bowstrings, etc.
Hunting licenses
Wax tablet

Ash longbow
Knife
Belt axe
Game preparation supplies
Camera and small tripod

As for carrying the bow when not in use, I have it unstrung and slid into its canvas sleeve. Leather strip is bound about it and it can be shouldered if the terrain is clear, else I carry it in hand.

Foodstuffs include jerk, parched corn, dried fruit pieces, iron age bread, and similar.

Colors are dusty forest greens, warm browns, and dark heather greys, mostly. Not glamorous but it works.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I have hunted for the first time in many years this year. I had the bow but could not get in a position to get a shot. I did manage to be in partial kit but still not enough for my liking.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"