Cloak Patterns?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

turnip
Dúnadan

Cloak Patterns?

Post by turnip »

Greetings to all! Would any of you know where I could get a good cloak pattern? Would be nice if we could somehow close it in the front - to keep us warmer. Want to make functional wool cloaks for this winter - Turnip and I plan on doing some colder weather 'rangering'. Thanks lots! Sindara
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Cloak Patterns?

Post by Peter Remling »

There are a number of patterns on the forum, do a search and you'll find quite a few. There are also 1/2 and full round patterns on the SCA websites. If I get a chance later I'll see if I can post some here.
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Thanks Peter! Will see what we can find!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

It would be nice if we could put easy-to-find links up on the wiki for stuff like this too.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

If you want a good winter cloak that is closed in the front, your best bet would be the full circle design.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The simplest form of cloak that closed in front is the Gaulish cloak. It is hooded, has four toggles in front, and is as long as your fabric is wide, or as wide as you have pieced it.

Take a rectangle; I use 60" wide wool. Cut a piece as long as your two arms fully extended to the sides. Cut a smaller rectangle..this is the hood and should be as large as you want it to be..and stitch it centered on one long edge of the fabric. Drape it over your shoulders. You will notice two corners drag the ground. Easiest way to trim this is to take a string the same width of the fabric, anchor it center top long edge, start center bottom long edge, chalk the arc up and around. Trim. Usually this sort of cloak will hang to about knee level. It was used extensively by the Romans, who found it quite useful.

This will save you the weight and bulk of a full circle cloak while still keeping you covered. I have a few of them; beige, blue, and grey. You can double layer the wool, if you feel you need more warmth.

For what it is worth.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Thanks for all the feedback! Eledhwen, we may go with your idea for our winter stuff, and then next spring I'll make some fuller circle, lighter material cloaks. IF YOU NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING, ASK THE RANGERS!!! Oh, Turnip wants to know how to make our own boots... While we are doing our 'winter camping' we'll try to get some pictures for posting. Peter, I'm still very interested in those posts if you can find them. Thanks again, everyone! Sindara
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/cloak.html

Not a pattern, but a good bit of info.
You can't take the sky from me.
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Thanks much for the info Wulfgar!!! Sindara