The Co. of the Green Dragon

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

The Co. of the Green Dragon

Post by Cinead »

Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Beornmann

Re: The Co. of the Green Dragon

Post by Beornmann »

Good find! :D 8)
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very cool! Nice to see another group out there that's more focused on Book than Film accuracy! For those who don't have Google translate or don't want to do much digging, here's a preview:

Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I've actually run across their page before. Cool stuff, definitely. But DANG those look like some heavy-duty bows. And unless I'm mistaken they appear to have a round cross-section, which is unusual in and of itself.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Very cool! Nice to see another group out there that's more focused on Book than Film accuracy! For those who don't have Google translate or don't want to do much digging, here's a preview:

Absolutely. I find myself considering the movie designs, which I love, as 'right.'
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very cool! Since there are similar groups out there, perhaps we should form an Alliance :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

This is so great!!!

I had fallen into the illusion that we were some of the only ones of our kind but obviously not!

Ken, I love the idea of an alliance, and I speak fluent french so can liaise well :)

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Dirhael wrote:This is so great!!!

I had fallen into the illusion that we were some of the only ones of our kind but obviously not!

Ken, I love the idea of an alliance, and I speak fluent french so can liaise well :)
Allons-y! My French is rusty but serviceable. Your location is given as Cumbria, so may I assume that you're in the UK? I can be a North American francophone contact if no other is available. It would be awesome to do an 'exchange program.' Curiously, AFS, the international exchange program that I participated in when I spent a year in Paraguay in high school, started out when American ambulance drivers from WWI (volunteers who were prohibited from fighting in the war when it started) wanted to keep ties with their friends in France, which eventually lead to the establishment of scholarships and exchanges.
Hávamál
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Greg wrote:Very cool! Nice to see another group out there that's more focused on Book than Film accuracy!
Straelbora wrote: Absolutely. I find myself considering the movie designs, which I love, as 'right.'
This is a hard one for me. So much of the trilogy designs were so well done, and just right. They definitely have provided a lense for much of my gear.

But I agree it's nice to see a cohesive group that is definitely NOT making movie cosplay items.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

Mirimaran wrote:Very cool! Since there are similar groups out there, perhaps we should form an Alliance :)

Ken
An excellent idea! It was heartening to see that there are more groups forming out there!
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

From their website, I found their Facebook page and 'liked' it. Someone in the group suggested we get together and I asked if there is an island in the middle of the Atlantic we could use. Both Numenor and Atlantis were suggested.
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

caedmon wrote:This is a hard one for me. So much of the trilogy designs were so well done, and just right. They definitely have provided a lense for much of my gear.
Totally in agreement here. Recent thought has really pushed me in the direction of covering all basics with historical sources, but everything has a certain flair, be it movie-inspired or of my own invention, which distinctly separates the kit from a 100% historical one. I don't want to look like a 12th century woodsman in a cloak...I want to look like a Ranger from Middle Earth. Does that mean I want a Cosplay look? NO. But does that mean that I flirt away from history in some parts to distinguish my kit from cultures that exist to blend into cultures that "don't"? Absolutely.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I could not have said it any better my friend, and agree whole heartedly with you.
To me it is what sets us apart from being an Historical reanactment or the SCA. I truly enjoy the challenge of taking a well documented and creative peice of fiction and going through the excersise of making it make sense based on what we know of history, geography and natural science. There is an extra challenge to this group that goes beyond history into the realm of imagination.:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Thalion

Post by Thalion »

Hi folks!

Thalion here, from La Compagnie du Dragon Vert.

Glad you like what we are doing!

Those pictures are kinda old... We have some new stuff we can show, here, have some of my favorites:

Minas' Finest (we have brand new, winged helmet being forged right now after years of research, prototypes and discussion...)

Ithilien fighters (6 of them on the picture, I think one of them we can't actually see...)

Good people of Rohan !

And their captain

Some bad guy...

Complete different type of bad guys (dunlendings)

Hobbits...

A dwarf fighter...

Even some elvish folks

We like complete on-site immersion, including when we eat and sleep

And crafting stuff (we made the table, the map, candles...)

We love subtle references to Tolkien Letters (even when they take years to embroid)

We do a lot of stuff. I really wanted to find a picture of the Gondorian coin we are minting but that will be for another post... (edit: found it)

A quick note about the bows, those discussed earlier are not usual historicaclly acurate longbows, that's for sure. The main reason we use them is they are cheap. Our fighting rules allows bowmen to fight if they have the necessary protective gear, and a bow can easily be hit by accident. Those can handle it and even if they were to break, that's ok...

It's always a good surprise to find other people doing what we do! So, it's a pleasure to meet you, and if you have question about us or what we do, please feel free to ask!

About or approach, it's very much like what was described by Ringulf. Whenever possible, we refer to the books and only the books. When something is missing, we try extrapolating by understanding how it works and how it fit into the universe. We extensively research historical sources because it intrinsically makes sense. Understanding it and, in some occasion, taking it as it is allows for meaningful gap filling. The difference between Middle-Earth cultures and their historical counterparts (Tolkien main influences) is at the core of our work. We don't want to just copy historical references, there's a lot more work than that behind those pictures.

(hope I did not hurt any display here, if I have to switch images for link let me know ;) )
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Huzzah to you and your company mon ami!
You are an inspiration and perhaps you would be willing to be our liason to your group, I am sure we all could benefit from one another!

OK I say we need an exchange program! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: