Aragorn's name

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Aragorn's name

Post by Eric C »

Okay, I'm trying to do a little research for a project I am working on to continue a story I started long ago. I am trying to remember or find the name given to Aragorn as a child living in Rivendell. Can anyone tell me where to find it/what it is? Thanks in advance.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Aragorn's name

Post by Ernildir »

The name you are looking for is Estel, "Hope." :)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Now I've got it in writing in a place where I can find it quickly! :lol: Elessar was the only one that would come to mind and I knew that was wrong. If I'm not badly mistaken that is the name he took upon his coronation as king. Thanks Ernildir.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

The man had more names, than hats.
As stated by Ernildir, after his father died, Aragorn was renamed Estel to keep him hidden and was not told about his heritage until 2951.

Around Bree and the Shire he was known as Strider.

Aragorn served his lords in disguise and his name in Gondor and Rohan during that time was Thorongil (Eagle of the Star).

Aragorn was crowned as King Elessar (translated as Elfstone in Tolkien's invented language of Quenya)

From wikipedia
Names and titles
Aragorn, son of Arathorn was called the Dúnadan ("Man of the West/Númenórean", given by Arwen in Lothlórien and much used by Bilbo), Longshanks (given by Bill Ferny in Bree), Strider (by which he was known in Bree and the outlying areas), and Wingfoot (given by Éomer after discovering that Aragorn had travelled 45 leagues in four days in pursuit of Pippin, Merry, and their Uruk-hai captors). He was the founder of the House of Telcontar (Telcontar is "Strider" in Quenya, after the nickname given him by the rustics of the North), which ruled Gondor well into the Fourth Age of Middle-earth; in records, his full regnal name is given as Elessar Telcontar ("Elfstone Strider"). Envinyatar (meaning "the renewer") is another name by which he referred to himself when he claimed the elfstone. He was known as Estel ("hope") before coming of age, to protect his true lineage from Sauron's forces, which were seeking the heir of Isildur. He was also known as Thorongil ("Eagle of the Star") in his younger days when he travelled across Middle-earth and took up service in Rohan and Gondor (often by protecting camps and raiding enemy strongholds like he did when he crossed the Corsairs of Umbar).
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Beornmann wrote:The man had more names, than hats.
As stated by Ernildir, after his father died, Aragorn was renamed Estel to keep him hidden and was not told about his heritage until 2951.

Around Bree and the Shire he was known as Strider.

Aragorn served his lords in disguise and his name in Gondor and Rohan during that time was Thorongil (Eagle of the Star).

Aragorn was crowned as King Elessar (translated as Elfstone in Tolkien's invented language of Quenya)

From wikipedia
Names and titles
Aragorn, son of Arathorn was called the Dúnadan ("Man of the West/Númenórean", given by Arwen in Lothlórien and much used by Bilbo), Longshanks (given by Bill Ferny in Bree), Strider (by which he was known in Bree and the outlying areas), and Wingfoot (given by Éomer after discovering that Aragorn had travelled 45 leagues in four days in pursuit of Pippin, Merry, and their Uruk-hai captors). He was the founder of the House of Telcontar (Telcontar is "Strider" in Quenya, after the nickname given him by the rustics of the North), which ruled Gondor well into the Fourth Age of Middle-earth; in records, his full regnal name is given as Elessar Telcontar ("Elfstone Strider"). Envinyatar (meaning "the renewer") is another name by which he referred to himself when he claimed the elfstone. He was known as Estel ("hope") before coming of age, to protect his true lineage from Sauron's forces, which were seeking the heir of Isildur. He was also known as Thorongil ("Eagle of the Star") in his younger days when he travelled across Middle-earth and took up service in Rohan and Gondor (often by protecting camps and raiding enemy strongholds like he did when he crossed the Corsairs of Umbar).
This is why every Ranger should have several names- an 'official' Elvish name, some nicknames in the Common Tongue, a name or two in Old English, etc.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I am currently rereading FOTR and have come across a few of those names. :mrgreen: I think Bill Ferny also called him "Stick-at-naught Strider."

Thanks for the answers. Now my mind is churning, trying to come up with some other names for Angarth.