Good deal on wood arrows...

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Good deal on wood arrows...

Post by Jonathan B. »

RangerKellen wrote:So if you don't mind my asking, if cedar is too soft, would bamboo be the best wood to use while making arrows? Or is a there a better wood to use such as oak or spruce?
I prefer Ash personally.
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Is ash hard to find or is it more expensive than the other woods?
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

neither in my experience, although it may be both at the manufacturing level. http://www.raptorarchery.com/index.php? ... 28d301dccd
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Cedar is probably the most commonly used arrow wood out there. It has the advantage of being lightweight, and it flexes well. It also doesn't explode into horrifying splinters on impact. Ash was used a lot in the Middle Ages (if I recall correctly), but it has the disadvantage of being very heavy and very brittle. That being said, both of these things were actually advantages in the period, because they were generally using much heavier bows - so the extra weight was good, as it gave the arrows extra inertia, and the whole exploding-on-impact thing was good, because it caused more damage to the target, and also didn't give the enemy an opportunity to shoot the same arrows back.

I've heard of folks using spruce, oak, and other materials, but I don't really know any of their characteristics.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I'll disagree with ash being brittle as I've never had one break let alone shatter, cedar on the other hand I've had very bad luck with. Just my personal experience.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I use oak for arrows, and as I do a lot of 3D shoots in the woods, having an arrow that can survive my worst shots comes in handy. I've never had one break, the worst wear being an impacted field point. They are heavier, so my arrow speed is not as high, but since they are stiff I don't need a terribly thick shaft to get the proper spine.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

When I refer to ash shafts exploding on impact, I'm mostly talking about being shot from very heavy bows, and shot at targets like armored soldiers, etc. I've never actually seen an ash shaft shatter. That being said, it is a brittle wood, and very splintery - but then, that's just a risk one runs with wooden arrows in general.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains