Some more questions...

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Some more questions...

Post by Ringulf »

As best as I can tell from both the dictionary and my Languages of M E book, "Naug" as you would expect is Dwarf or stunted. Like "Naugrim" or "Stunted People".
"Thrain" means "Obstinate" and was the name of two Dwarven kings so my rather unique title, (one that I will grately cherrish) is:

"Obstinate Dwarf" or if you want to stretch it, Dwarf King or lord.

As I would not presume to take the loftier title, I think "Obstinate Dwarf" serves best!

Thank you Caedmon, may your beard grow ever longer!
(I would bow if I could)
I just hope I did not recieve such an honor by being a total pain in the posterier!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

kaelln wrote:So I was pretty close on everything except the starting point for Amrod Rhandir, which I found out for myself when I got there! I didn't know there were even more ranks, though. So, I'm guessing that "Naugothrain" is a dwarven title?
Yup, translates to erratic/wandering dwarf in Sindarin. Figured it fit for a dwarf that hangs with rangers.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes it does and I see now that the "obstinate" part was actully in there from the middle English and the thrain is actually Thrainn with two "n"s. Obstinate would still work, hee hee, but I like the Sindarin translation.

"Wandering Dwarf"

It would be a name given to a Dwarf by Dunadain. :mrgreen:

Thank you I would wish no other title! :D
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ringulf wrote:As best as I can tell from both the dictionary and my Languages of M E book, "Naug" as you would expect is Dwarf or stunted. Like "Naugrim" or "Stunted People".
"Thrain" means "Obstinate" and was the name of two Dwarven kings so my rather unique title, (one that I will grately cherrish) is:

"Obstinate Dwarf" or if you want to stretch it, Dwarf King or lord.

As I would not presume to take the loftier title, I think "Obstinate Dwarf" serves best!

Thank you Caedmon, may your beard grow ever longer!
(I would bow if I could)
I just hope I did not recieve such an honor by being a total pain in the posterier!
My Sindarin is less than rudimentary, but while the base is Naug, there are variants, especially when combining the with descriptive modifiers.

I was going for Naug > Naugoth + Rain. Now rain can mean erratic/wandering, or border, both of which fit with Elven (and by extention, Dunedain?) linguistic playfulness.

But Naug > Naugo + Thrain also makes sense and fits also fits and if I were fluent would have caught it.

As for the refference to the Dwarven kings, that one I didn't see at all, but I'll be happy to take credit anyway.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Brigandine: As has been covering in other topics, maille is the primary armor. Brigandine emerged around the late 14th century; coat a plates, in late 12th century. For a nice manual for construction, try Paul Blackwell's Basic Armouring.

Forum Rank-: Thanks for posting I have wonder about that.

Field Rank-: Experience and abilty overshadow rank. True leaders are easily rocognized. As Peter points out, we all have our talents. Where one day someone is out front, the next another. One of my favorite quotes: "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!"
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Beornmann wrote:One of my favorite quotes: "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!"
Now that is a quote we need translated into Sindarin!

:)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"