The Hunt for Gollum

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

The Hunt for Gollum

Post by Ringulf »

Greetings all! I did a search on this film on the site and it seemed as this had not come to the point where it was able to be seen on line for free.
If it has, forgive the redundancy, but I thought folks might like to get a chance to view it if they had not done so already.

I enjoyed it very much as a short story and short film. I feel for its scope and budget it was well done. The actors were creditable and looked enough like PJ's crew to be obviously different but alike enough not to have to suspend disbalief, or stretch your mind as to say that these are not the characters I am used to.

Nice kit and costuming too!

Enjoy!

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1146683929/
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: The Hunt for Gollum

Post by Mirimaran »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra9copTgtYc

in HD no less.

It's good but Born of Hope is my favorite :D

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It was good, to be sure, but that's been out and free for viewing for about two years.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Seems I'm always late for the party huh?
Well I thought that if I had not seen it, there was a possibility some others had not yet either.
The "Born of Hope" one was very good too Ken, thanks for sharing it!

You folks that are in the know, sorry to bore you with old material, those who have not seen these yet, here they are both on the same thread.

Have fun! :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Erhilir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Erhilir »

Just like the book
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK Ken I just finished "Born of Hope" and I have to agree that it was far superior in every way. The acting was fantastic, the scenes very well done, but I give great credit to the writers who put it together.
Making it about Arathorn was brillient! Adding in Estel made it a perfect prequel, taking nothing away from PJ's films in any way, and not handing us a substitute Arigorn, no matter how creditable, for us to overcome.

This is a keeper one to fall just shy of Canonical in my estimation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qINwCRM8acM

See it if you have not already, you will be glad you did! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Well the cool thing is that THfG and BoH had folks who helped each other out. Both outstanding examples of fan-made films! Now if we could just get the forum together and make a movie. Hmmmmmmm....lol

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Well, I have seen both "The Hunt for Gollum" and "Born of Hope" and I must say that they are fantastic! I personally prefer THFG over BOH simply because I feel that the love story kinda slows down the story. I know, I know, it is the plot. But I think they could have done it better. As for effects BOH wins hands down. That troll? Amazing! But THFG also has good effects. The actors in both films are great. Especially Arathorn. It is very easy to see him as the father of Aragorn.

Like I said, both films are great but I prefer THFG (even though it has a rather glaring Deus Ex Machina.) :)
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dailir »

I loved both videos! They were actually my inspiration for finding the MERF, because after seeing them I was sure there were at least a few other crazies who loved the idea of the dunedain, and how they lived. :)
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, yeah, I think I actually found them myself when lurking on these forums quite a while back.

I personally loved the Hunt for Gollum, but to be honest, I didn't finish Born of Hope because... well, I couldn't stand Gilraen. I found her silly and superficial, and couldn't help rooting for Arathorn to hook up with the other ranger girl, even though I knew that's not how the story went, heh.

Beyond that though, the production values were phenomenal, and I thought the actor playing Arathorn was great - a very believable father to Viggo's Aragorn.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains