PICS From the First Age!!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: PICS From the First Age!!

Post by jbook »

I don't have a pattern for this size in particular. It was made by my friend who made the bow and the horn containers I posted earlier. They are not hard to make thought I am sure. I will post some better pictures of it soon so you can see it in more detail.

I will say though they are GREAT for carrying your flint, steel, char clothe and tinder in. And I also carry my fishing gear in it as well. This particular design is called a "wallet" or a "market wallet". They were usually made of linen and were actually large enough to throw over your shoulder. They were a common way to carry belongings in the 18th century.
Here is a design I found and a bit about them.

"The Wallet, or Market Wallet, is a rectangular bag with an opening in the center, made of cloth in various sizes and used as an all-purpose carrying item by civilians. It makes a great addition to a civilian kit, as haversacks are mentioned primarily in military descriptions.

The Wallet, being of a long length and narrow width, can be carried in several ways. It can be put around the neck so that each side rests on one’s chest or twisted at the center and thrown over the shoulder. The twist will keep the contents from falling out. The runaway ads in the Pennsylvania Gazette of the period list descriptions of it being tied to a saddle as well. Judging from these ads, the size varies greatly and a good deal can be fitted into them. Fabrics mentioned range from course and sturdy flax or hemp linens, tows, and osnaburgs to striped ticking and checks and occasionally even marked with the owners initials."

Taken from http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/18cnel ... t%20Wallet
Attachments
Market_Wallet.jpg
Market_Wallet.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 7643 times
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ah ok, looks very useful! I might have to give that a try! Thanks for posting!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Jbook i second the others, that is an outstanding kit/look. very beleivable for a first age personna. Way to go :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
appalachianranger

Post by appalachianranger »

Excellent picture!
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
jbook

Post by jbook »

Thanks everyone!