Ranger Fitness?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Alexandros
Wayfarer

Ranger Fitness?

Post by Alexandros »

I have though for a while that someone needed to come up with a comprehensive fitness plan for the warrior woodsman. I am really interested in fitness and nutrition so I thought I would dive right in head first. What I quickly found was that this was a much more daunting task than I had imagined. I want to create a system solid enough that results are obvious and the task challenging but also one that was loose enough that the workouts could constantly change so as to challenge the body each and every week. For a long time I looked to the military's style. Long distance cardio, and body weight exercises. After a short time the body weight exercises become easy enough to the soldier ( 20-25+reps ) that they become an aerobic exercise also. I have a marine friend who always complains the smaller weaker soldiers had the advantage in the P.E Tests.
This system is not to be scoffed at. However it ignores some major issues. Aerobic exercise is great but it doesn't stress the nervous system, bones and ligaments really at all. Doing this in a safe manner it what forces these systems to adapt. The only joint stressed is the knees and they take such a pounding from the running that it is a detriment. Don't take this from me though! The army is trying a new training procedure that uses weights and sprints/weighted cardio. They used this in certain Ranger divisions and injuries were down an average of 62% in those factions.
I took a close look at the workout schedule that the military adopted, designed by a powerlifter of all things. It is near the same as a book I have read on a strength training regime made for Olympic Fencers. When procedures line up and the numbers are there to back them up, I start to smile. The military system is designed for creating an over all athlete, it goes through a cycle of core conditioning using off balance training, full body heavy weight exercises, and conditioning all interlaced with various types of explosive or HIIT cardio.
The Olympic guide had a very similar cycle but the stages were longer, as it was designed to be once per year in the off season. Also, because designed specifically for fencing, there was additional traditional cardiovascular workouts interlaced, as well as balance and coordination exercises.
As warriors and woodsmen we need a combination of these things. Explosive power can be used in a fight, negotiating severe obstacles and on the battlefield as an archer (think sprinting from cover to cover). The traditional cardio is also what keeps you in the game during long battles and traversing massive amounts of distance every day with or without a heavy pack on. Cardiovascular health is also is what will let you catch a breath and recover your muscles between bouts. The overall toughness of the body (ligament, bone tissue) is important to the ranger, why? Think about this, an Olympic champion powerlifter at one point donated his body to science and upon dissection they found that the connective tissue in his legs and even the thickness of the vertebrae wall in his spinal cord was bigger than anything they had seen. Train your connective tissue now before you pull or break something 50 miles into the back woods. The only way to do this is with weight, you body has to think "this jerk is gonna carry 400 pounds on his back everyday, I better make sure he doesn't get hurt!"

I am currently coming up with a format that can be adjusted for each person, with a mixture of lightly loaded cardio (walking with a pack on) and heavy loaded cardio (dragging a 200 lbs sled) footwork days and technique days. I would love to make a comprehensive system but each sword/bow style is different and I want this to work with everything. Ideally, the outline will be one you can pull a workout off of the internet, adapt it to fit into the scheme and away you go, this keeps things interesting and easy and also keeps your body from adapting.

**Update!!**
Mountain Warrior Workout

Sets x Reps: Rest
You should fail on your last few of your last set, that is our implied intensity. Finish with cheats and negatives if safe.
You will need a stretching routine after every workout.
Skill training is not a part of this workout that is up to you. Give your body at least one day a week off completely, two is better try not to do too much in one day, if you have weapons training don't do the workout and your cardio both on the same day as it. Record all your results as you go and keep pushing yourself. Eat.
Choose Your Cardio to suit your sport.

Week 1-Destabilize!

This week is a full body warmup activating all the support muscles to help build practical strength. Each exercise will be a destabilized form of what is written examples will follow.

Workout One: Lower Body
2-4x12:90 Motion exercise
2-4x12:90 Squat
2-4x12:90 Deadlift
2-4x12:90 Core

Workout Two: Upper Body
5-6x2:4-5min Benchpress (Start at 50%2RM and increase by 10%)
2x25:3Min Benchpress(Different)
2-4x12:90 UpperBack
2-4x12:90 Triceps
2-4x12:90 LowerBack
2x15 Rotator Cuff Exercise LIGHT WEIGHT

Workout Three
Natural Weight Full-Body Circuit
I.E Sandbag, Kettle-bell...
Some sources for these will be listed.

Week 2-Strength!

Deadlift, Squat, Benchpress. Are exactly that, everything else is a guide

Workout One
5-6x3:4-5Min( Start at 50%1RM with 3 Rep Sets increasing with 10% until failure, continue adding weight with One Rep Sets to 1RM)
2-4x10:90 Deadlift (alternate)
2-4x10:90 Hamstring
2-4x10:90 Core

Workout Two
5-6x3:4-5Min Benchpress( As above, once 1Rm reached, drop to 50% and do as many reps as possible.)
2-4x10:90 Upper Back
2-4x10:90 Triceps
2-4x10:90 Lower Back
2x15:90 Rotator Cuff LIGHT WEIGHT

Workout Three
5-6x3:4-5Min Squat (As Deadlift no high rep work)

Workout Four
Full Body Circuit

Week 3-Conditioning!

Workout One
2x50:60 Squat
2-4x15 Hamstrings
2-4x15 Core

Workout Two
1x100 Benchpress
2-4x15:90 UpperBack
2-4x15:90 Triceps
2-4x15:90 LowerBack
2x15:90 Rotator Cuff LIGHT WEIGHT

Workout Three
Full Body Circuit

More Notes:
You might do a circuit of rotator cuff exercises instead of the one listed, I would advise doing this 3 times a week. My fencing arm loves the supplemental workout, my non fencing arm I have found needs extra help so I do a cuff circuit on off days three times a week.
The full body cardio is not to be ignored, not only can it be a lot of fun coming up with bad a$$ cardio workouts but they challenge the functional muscles that tie everything together and trigger them to grow with your new found muscles. Sounds good right? Maybe it is even true, all I know is I like throwing sandbags around.
Stretching is also very important, find a routine that you like and do it after the workouts. I like using a rope.
Low intensity cardio is great for you, not only is it good for your cardiovascular health but it burns a higher percentage of stored fat compared to a high intensity workout. Put a pack on and go for a long walk. Use enough weight to keep you in the 60% to 80% of maximum heart rate at a brisk walk.

Let me know what you think, I will post up an example routine for you to get an idea.
Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Ranger Fitness?

Post by Ringulf »

This is a wonderful idea you must keep us posted on it!
I am currently doing Stav as it appeals tremendously to the Norse Dwarf in me but much of that is also a life system of excersize and nutrition as well as spiritual excersises.
Of course the martial art part of it is the main focus of most, but I find that the Runic stances are much like Tia chi for meditation. it would be interesting to adapt some of the principles using the Angerthas Erebor or Moria to that part of it so we could keep it in the realm of middle earth!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Alexandros wrote: As warriors and woodsmen we need a combination of these things. Explosive power can be used in a fight, negotiating severe obstacles and on the battlefield as an archer (think sprinting from cover to cover). The traditional cardio is also what keeps you in the game during long battles and traversing massive amounts of distance every day with or without a heavy pack on.
There's no need to reinvent the wheel, as they say. It so happens that we are in the midst of a strong revival in physical culture, emphasizing natural, non or minimal-equipment based training that mimics traditional or ancient lifestyles and patterns. While I practice l'art du déplacement (parkour), which incorporates this philosophy as a core element, there are many other catchphrases for it these days: "natural movement," "functional fitness, "primal fitness," or "paleo fitness," etc. They all share in kind features which are of use and importance to any warrior/woodsman. Agility, stamina, strength, balance, spatial awareness, and perhaps most importantly, adaptability.

Because of the current popularity of such approaches, there are a myriad of regimes in existence online. These are generally quite freeform, however, and not some standardized plan that one follows. In my opinion, there is little need for such. To become better at what you wish to do, practice doing it.

Jon Hinds, owner of the Monkey Bar gym regularly posts workouts on the MBG site: http://monkeybargym.com
There are some pleasant looking videos on this site: http://movnat.com
And for a fun spin on the approach you may enjoy: http://zombiefit.org
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Hmmm, not sure that parkour is really a viable option for some of us. Ringulf, Pete and I are all over 50. Pete looks pretty fit, so maybe he could do some sort of parkour type thing, but there are other body-weight type options, such as calisthenics, isometrics and dynamic resistance that might be safer for some of the older and more out of shape members of the forum. Some members have also indicated a preference for fitness programs specifically related to WMA, and I believe that was what Alexandros was getting at, although I could be mistaken.

I'm currently cycling between isometrics and calisthenics, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I'm no where near where I'd like to be, but I'm in better condition than a lot of the twenty and thirty somethings I work with. One fellow I know my age is on a fistful of prescription drugs and can barely walk, and another I went to college with I've actually seen on a walker, so I feel pretty good about my condition. I'm considering adding in some dynamic resistance on a daily basis as well.

Don't get me wrong, if I was thirty years younger, I'd be really excited about parkour. It's really cool!
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

kaelln wrote:Hmmm, not sure that parkour is really a viable option for some of us. Ringulf, Pete and I are all over 50.
There is a common (mis)conception that Parkour is about jumping off rooftops and vaulting over cars. This is an image perpetrated by film, television, and YouTube (how shocking!), is representative of only a small fraction of traceurs and not what Parkour is truly about. It is, quite simply, a way of moving through one's environment and a means to overcome obstacles within it. At any age. It is practiced throughout life, and is open to all levels of physical and mental ability with the aim to improve and expand both. Balancing along a curb at 8 and negotiating a staircase at 80 - these are both equal and practical applications of parkour.

It is not some revolutionary discovery that will solve all your ills, just a name to something that humans have done innately for millennia. Discard your notions that it is about insane tricking and think of it simply as a philosophy, and one that is easily applied to whatever fitness program you feel best suits you.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Odigan wrote:
There is a common (mis)conception that Parkour is about jumping off rooftops and vaulting over cars. Discard your notions that it is about insane tricking and think of it simply as a philosophy, and one that is easily applied to whatever fitness program you feel best suits you.
You are correct! That was indeed my (mis)conception! :lol: I am intrigued. Please tell us more about the philosophy of parkour!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

It sounds great to me I need to get alittle motivated to get in better shape.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

kaelln wrote: You are correct! That was indeed my (mis)conception! :lol: I am intrigued. Please tell us more about the philosophy of parkour!
I've alluded to this already, but while Parkour isn't a neatly defined holistic discipline, it is comprised of practices and values which invariably translate to a differing view of how we ultimately perceive our environment. Seeing obstacles (physical and mental) as not only surmountable, but fun! While the founder of the modern movement is generally recognized as David Belle, the systemization of Parkour has its origins with Georges Hébert. In his travels, Hébert recognized and admired the athleticism and ease of movement he found amongst native peoples. He eventually used his position as a physical education instructor to experiment with his ideas, and these became the foundation for the obstacle course (parcours du combattant) used by military units worldwide and from which Parkour derives its name. His motto was "be strong to be useful," but this refers not merely to physical strength but mental and moral strength as well.

As far as what really constitutes Parjour, I can't really say it any better than the APK page:

"Parkour is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.

- Parkour requires... consistent, disciplined training with an emphasis on functional strength, physical conditioning, balance, creativity, fluidity, control, precision, spatial awareness, and looking beyond the traditional use of objects.

- Parkour movements typically include... running, jumping, vaulting, climbing, balancing, and quadrupedal movement. Movements from other physical disciplines are often incorporated, but acrobatics or tricking alone do not constitute parkour.

- Parkour training focuses on... safety, longevity, personal responsibility, and self-improvement. It discourages reckless behavior, showing off, and dangerous stunts.

- Parkour practitioners value... community, humility, positive collaboration, sharing of knowledge, and the importance of play in human life, while demonstrating respect for all people, places, and spaces."

So, as I've said, it seems reasonable and appropriate that many of these views are not only compatible with other disciplines/regimen but valuable in their use and adoption. It is, if you will, the Jeet Kune Do of physical training.
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

I wish I had more prepared to post other than just a response, I actually do think that the wheel needs to be reinvented, the stuff you guys are talking about is great as a segment of the workout, but not as a whole. The movement in the exercise world is great, kettle bell swings are great but they are one side of the story. The whole reason why the military added in weight training is because there was no other way to develop the strength they wanted the soldiers to have. I'm not talking about kettlebells. The new standard for strength in the rangers is a benchpress of 1.5 times body weight, squat 2.5 times body weight and deadlift 2.5 times body weight. These are full body exercises not designer workouts and heavy weight is what triggers a response from bone and connective tissue helping with injury prevention. The other reason why ballerinas, ice skaters, fencers and football players have resorted to powerlifting at least as a part of their regiment is because of this, and because it builds explosive power like nothing else. I am not saying to do this all the time, the one month cycle introduces these exercises as one segment of an overall plan. I think we should do a little competition..? Why don't we measure the improvement in a parkour related test of strength say in the long jump or high jump over thirty days and we can see if supplemental weight training helps? I am excited to see if this works, you rarely see any fitness idea tested, usually just hemmed and hawed about on the Internet. I am not trying to prove anything one way or another I am genuinely interested and I think we can all benefit from some good old fashion research! Let me know!
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

The problem with developing any "comprehensive fitness plan" is that one must first determine the goal of the end user. I'm not sure that's been directly addressed, and I don't believe that the approaches of either the modern military or Olympiads are wholly appropriate for a Middle-Earth-styled Ranger. I of course understand that you are borrowing what works from these and other systems, and that's fine, but latching onto particulars because they are effective in one instance does not make them necessary for others.
Alexandros wrote:The whole reason why the military added in weight training is because there was no other way to develop the strength they wanted the soldiers to have. I'm not talking about kettlebells. The new standard for strength in the rangers is a benchpress of 1.5 times body weight, squat 2.5 times body weight and deadlift 2.5 times body weight.
And why is it that the military requires such strength? Because soldiers are increasingly required to carry absurd combat loads. The average infantryman these days is hauling around some 90-120 lbs. in equipment and gear. This is far in excess of historical levels and well beyond the amount any sensible woodsman would take on the trail. Many inexperienced long-range hikers (say, starting out on the Appalachian Trail) will have 50+ lb. packs, but experience will bring them to trim this down to 30 lbs. or less, which is about as much as you'd want and not far off from the official Army "fighting load" of 36.9 lbs. Personally, I don't need to be able to carry 100 lbs of gear for many miles, nor would I want to. That is what is causing so many issues with soldiers backs and joints, not improper training. Why would I want to train for something that I don't want to be doing or need to?

Alexandros wrote:These are full body exercises not designer workouts and heavy weight is what triggers a response from bone and connective tissue helping with injury prevention.
Weight training is not required for this. Any activity which applies impact (even gently) or other stress will cause bone and tissue to react by increasing in strength. Many martial arts use impact to increase bone density, and tennis players receive this benefit by having a higher bone density in their playing arm. The use of vibration therapy is also being used to combat osteoporosis. Jumping, running, or engaging in whatever activity you intend to practice (i.e. archery) will cause your body to adapt to the rigours of that task, if you expose it to it regularly and sensibly. As you suggest, weight training can be a beneficial part of any training program, but it is by no means necessary.
Alexandros wrote:I think we should do a little competition..? Why don't we measure the improvement in a parkour related test of strength say in the long jump or high jump over thirty days and we can see if supplemental weight training helps?
While I appreciate the scientific spirit of such a proposition, I think it exceedingly impractical and one which would yield no conclusive results. With each person reacting to training so differently, you'd need a subject base of hundreds if not thousands of persons. I'm sure someone somewhere has already come to some conclusion on the question anyway, but that doesn't particularly matter. What matters is what results do you want, and are you getting them?
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

Just a few things and then I'm going to stop arguing the point here, this is supposed to be a place to post the plan I don't want people to sift through 10 pages of back and forth to get to the meat of the post.
Odigan wrote:And why is it that the military requires such strength? Because soldiers are increasingly required to carry absurd combat loads. The average infantryman these days is hauling around some 90-120 lbs. in equipment and gear. This is far in excess of historical levels and well beyond the amount any sensible woodsman would take on the trail.
I would prefer to be ready to haul a friend if they are injured, or their gear if they can no longer hold it, quartered elk, deer. There are all sorts of reasons to be strong if you are trying not to rely on modern equipment.
Odigan wrote: Any activity which applies impact (even gently) or other stress will cause bone and tissue to react by increasing in strength. Many martial arts use impact to increase bone density, and tennis players receive this benefit by having a higher bone density in their playing arm. The use of vibration therapy is also being used to combat osteoporosis. Jumping, running, or engaging in whatever activity you intend to practice (i.e. archery) will cause your body to adapt to the rigours of that task, if you expose it to it regularly and sensibly
Impact is weight. They will naturally cause the same response. You can lift a heavy weight or you can jump around without it. It seems to me that a slow controlled lift is a safer way of developing this, that is also what the military found. Tennis has an injury named after it.
I agree with the second part of your statement but the body is lazy. It will adapt to where it can 'just' do it. My workout consists of fencing six times a week. Modern style HIIT workout with kettlebells and such 3 days a week and intense foot/sword work 3 times a week for about an hour. I walk an average of 6 miles a day unloaded and I usually add 8 miles loaded to that twice a week as time limits. I was doing really well for the first six months and now my body has adapted to that routine. I never get sore anymore. I am in good shape but I am looking for the next step. This plan can be tailored to anyone and no it isn't necessary, but if you want to improve as fast as you can and be as strong as you can then yes it is. It really just depends on your level of commitment. I want to be ready for anything. I am not looking scrape by on the skin of my teeth, I am formulating a plan to excel.
Odigan wrote: With each person reacting to training so differently, you'd need a subject base of hundreds if not thousands of persons. I'm sure someone somewhere has already come to some conclusion on the question anyway, but that doesn't particularly matter. What matters is what results do you want, and are you getting them?
I explained above what my regular workout was, pretty standard for a motivated fencer. Once I get this plan down I will post up regular improvements to all three power lifting exercises as well as the height and length of my jump and my lunge. If anyone has any ideas for standardized tests they would like to track the improvement of let me know, this is gonna be a lot of fun!
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Some of the differences we're having may be simply semantic, or at least in our definition of "weight training." There's no doubt that weights and overloading increase body response, but powerflifting, modern standardized weight sets (including kettlebells) or machines to me seem incrongruous with a ME Ranger fitness plan which I envision as taking at least a pseudo-historical approach. While not exactly an academic article, Using the "F" Word gives an overview of what I mean. As you see, they did indeed practice "weight training," through the use of overloading with armour and the throwing of stones. Most of us are no longer exposed to the sorts of tasks which our ancestors had to perform - digging ditches, swinging axes/hammers, hauling timber, working with large animals - and most of our population does not do these things regularly anymore, but they are all weight/resistance/impact activities.

The other issue is effectiveness. We can debate all day what is most "effective," but I doubt anyone wants to as there are plenty of people who do nothing but this. Effective for what? To whom? We are a small but diverse group: in our goals, abilities, ages, and desires. Creating an overall plan for such a group is much more difficult than delineating a programme for a strictly defined military unit, if only because those desires and objectives are not defined by the programme but by the individual. So overall, if there is to any common goal, it is improvement over time. The means by which this is attained or how long it takes is less important.

As far as sharing training methodologies and progress, I am reminded of an earlier thread on the topic. Perhaps this can either be resurrected or the two merged?
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

Sounds great I will put my layout here and on the other thread and then I will start a progress thread, great suggestions. The plan will have more than enough room for primal training types. Thanks so much now I have to figure out a good outline haha.
Drogo Greenhood
Wayfarer

Post by Drogo Greenhood »

Here hear, Odigan! Your universal workout philosophy based on Parkour is similar to my understanding and practice of Jeet Kun Do. The way Bruce Lee described personalized style and workout routines based on what fits the individual. It doesnt matter what shape, size, or age if you can still do something physical it does not have to be what someone else is doing or has done. Examples are great, and i was in the military and have practiced workouts in civilain groups also, but i determined that i prefer to work out by myself as i have always done. I like to do situps the way that feels best to me, do however many pushups at the speed i like, do my pull ups on tree limbs, and walk or run as my body and will tells me i can. Granted i am a very self motivated person. To me the realization of this freedom is magical and nice too.
Blessed Be, the Hooded Hunter.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

It would seem I've been practicing parkour without even knowing it.....Set work out routines are boring....getting out there running, climbing, jumping, crawling etc. is alot more fun burns more fat and builds more useful muscles and reflexes.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~