Florentine Axe and Hammer Project

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Florentine Axe and Hammer Project

Post by Mirimaran »

Very nice! Love the handle work in particular, but great job on both!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
GreyWatcher
Wayfarer

Post by GreyWatcher »

Nice job all the way around ! I going to have to ask for some advice on my upcoming spear project.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK the Hammer is now tightly affixed to the second haft.
It took a little bit to get the maximum distance forward on the hammer's blunt face because of the fact that it was cut in the other direction of the teardrop shaped drift hole. but it has enough space now between the haft and the tip to be more than a pall.
Brandwyn and my Son Arbitus, and I are going shooting. He just got a beautiful Horsebow and has the jones to shoot, but when I come back I will do the knotwork and stain.

Here are the pics.

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

E.MacKermak wrote: Oh well...beyond my ability.

Not quite

If I were doing this, and later on, I might. :) I would anneal the head grind to shape and then harden the edge, leaving the rest dead soft. A half ass pit forge, which you could fill back in on top of the axe head once it got to temp to let the steel cool slowly overnight, and a 4 inch grinder would really be the only tools you needed to anneal and shape the head. Finishing with files and sand paper to suit yourself. That would be my attack plan.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I was looking more at easy ways to cut knife blades. I have a couple of Machetes begging to be redone into something I like more. And it is hard to get a good cut with a dremel tool.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

If it isn't stainless an oxy-acetaline torch can do alot with the right nib, There is also alot you can do with an angle grinder and the right head. I use what I got (If it is plasma, well I still don't turn my nose up at it!)lol
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

We don't own any torches.. although his dad might give us his angle grinder.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

This is where "Harbor Freight" can be your best freind, I know their stuff is not really high quality and if I have the funds I try to get the best product I can afford, but in this case my current angle grinder cost me no more than 15 dollars and I have already gotten several projects out of it. it owes me nothing and has a lot of life left in it. If you don't have one near you, there is always the internet site that has tutorial on everything they sell and the catalogue. Though I know going up and down 95 there is the big headquarters in either Georgia or SC. Anyway If worse comes to worse I am sure we could find a way to get some rough blade blanks cut out for you. We would have to do it when the machine is available so I can't give any time guarenties.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

The big HQ is in SC. We have a few other places we could get one too. But free from Dad is so much nicer...he isn't using it much anymore. Worst case, I will pick up one when I get beck from deployment. Won't have time for too much work during leave.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well here are the final pics of the Flourentine set. I was thinking about wrapping the lower part of the handles and still might but at this juncture I may even entertain selling the set. I inscribed in EF the name of the crow's bill hammer after a literary dwarven character from Markus Heitz' The Dwarves series. Boendal uses this weapon and his twin brother Boindil uses Flourentine axes...guess what the axe's name is! lol

kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Just too cool looking!
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

They really look great! I love the way the colors you use really make them pop. What type of paint/dye/pigment do you use? And do you put something over it to prevent wear?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I used minwax water based manor oak stain on the carved knotwork and minwax waterbased color express emerald on the green. I finish and protect it with several buffed coates of brown shoe polish and it gives it a bit of character and depth.

I am glad you like them!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Wow those came out very nice. Love them!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I really like the hammer.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"