The Hunt

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

The Hunt

Post by Eledhwen »

Depending on where you are Hunting season could be already on or approaching fast.

For me it is a bit over six weeks out.

Hunting medievally is little different from hunting as a Ranger; the gear might be differently embellished and less focus given to absolute historicity, but it is essentially the same.

For myself I will be using arrows I made earlier this year, my arrow bag again, knife, hunting horn, longbow, pilgrims' shoulder bag, belt pouch, pants, tunic, hood, and of course the odds and ends of necessity such as sharpening stone, extra strings, rope and so on. For hunting I have found the separate mantled hood and cloak works a bit better than the one piece style.

This year I made the doe lottery so I can harvest a total of four whitetails; two bucks and two does. There is also fall turkey season to look to and some of the small game species run through it too.

The first six weeks or so of the season no orange is required as that is bow season. Once the gun seasons start in December I have to wear orange so for that there's a simple medieval cap and jupon to go over the tunic.

I encourage those interested to look into hunting this way if, as, and when they have the ability to do so. The challenge is excellent, the experience beyond expectations. And it teaches you a great deal...and is a chance to go Rangering and harvesting food at one and the same time. Few places here allow camping and hunting unless it is on private property...but eating meat you've harvested of a night is an awesome thing.

Ta-rahn! The hunt will soon be up!

Health & Good Fortune!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
GreyWatcher
Wayfarer

Re: The Hunt

Post by GreyWatcher »

Good Hunting and I hope you'll be bringing an camera with you.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Definitely. To gain a bit of place in St. Huberts' Rangers I rather need to photograph my kills if any. I got skunked last year, drat them, but this year may be better. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Thanks Willrett! Paul posted it to the St. Huberts list when he got word it was being published. :)

Nifty article too.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

yep, its about that time. I'm looking forward to a good season.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Started slotting my shafts for broadheads just this week. I'll be out there in the brush with you hunters all through the winter this year!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The more the merrier. Now if we could some day get a group on for a camping hunt in full on kit. *sigh* THAT would be awesome.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!