I have finally arrived!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Alexandros
Wayfarer

I have finally arrived!

Post by Alexandros »

Greetings everyone, I have been trying to become a member on here for a few months. I fought my way in by downloading the Lotr MMO and hunting down some of your screen names. I eventually got a bite and was given some guidance, thank you so much by the way. The asterix at the end of my name is apparently what was needed so don't mind that. I am twenty six years old, I live in the great state of Montana ( as long as you ignore the people ). My interests are right in line with this website, bushcraft, primitive hunting, herbalism, art, music you name it. Don't forget the sword of course, though not a rangers weapon I am an avid fencer both Olympic and Sca, six times a week between the both of them. I will be doing a write up very soon, authentic gear for poor people who cant sew ( that would be me). I hope to get to know you all, I am going to stop rambling. See ya.

-Alex
kaelln

Re: I have finally arrived!

Post by kaelln »

Welcome!
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

welcome,
hmmmm sca fencing....... spanish or italien?
which master?
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Welcome to... THE FORUMS!! :evil: . As said before, we ARE NOT crazy! the rest of the world is.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Hi and Welcome!

If you'd like to have the asterick removed just pm me.
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

Thank you for the welcome, as far as SCA fencing I do not use a traditional style. I know better fencers that DO however, usually techniques that require a lot of finesse give me a wide margin to capitalize on. The problem is that they are too specialized. While the opponent is setting up a fancy action or trying to remember the one way in which they CAN defend from the fancy stance that they are in, I am keeping distance, popping them in the arm or face, or binding them up and draw cutting them in the throat with a dagger, man that's humiliating :) I am from a small shire and have no master. The closest style to the way I fence would be http://www.blacktigers.groo.us/ It has much to do with closing the obvious lines while you attack, single time defense/offense and getting inside range with the opponents blade on one side or the other of what the Tiger's call the wall of steel. The Don that comes down to teach us out here fences in their style so it is a huge influence on the Shire.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Welcome to MERF!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

Aviglakis* wrote:Thank you for the welcome, as far as SCA fencing I do not use a traditional style. I know better fencers that DO however, usually techniques that require a lot of finesse give me a wide margin to capitalize on. The problem is that they are too specialized. While the opponent is setting up a fancy action or trying to remember the one way in which they CAN defend from the fancy stance that they are in, I am keeping distance, popping them in the arm or face, or binding them up and draw cutting them in the throat with a dagger, man that's humiliating :) I am from a small shire and have no master. The closest style to the way I fence would be http://www.blacktigers.groo.us/ It has much to do with closing the obvious lines while you attack, single time defense/offense and getting inside range with the opponents blade on one side or the other of what the Tiger's call the wall of steel. The Don that comes down to teach us out here fences in their style so it is a huge influence on the Shire.
heh thats interesting, i have seen their videos on youtube and been a little perplexed, that wall of steel thing sounds like it is basically just what we call gaining the line...
:D
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Welcome to the group
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

You've found the crazy folks LOL

Welcome to the group, looking forward to your posts!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Welcome! :)
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

Thank you, I look forward to participating! The wall of steel is essentially a no-brainer bind with both weapons that is easy to set up and easy to capitalize on. Being simple and easy to execute leaves your mind open to analyze the situation, if you prefer an old school bind or gaining/dominating the line there is not one of them that can't be strengthened by the wall of steel, by strengthen I mean, making it harder to disengage around or reverse. One of my favorite attacks is a bind on six ending at the opponents armpit or throat, both in Rapier and in Epee. Anyway, the style is alot of fun to fence and I recommend giving it a try.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Welcome!

I took a few years of Olympic fencing and have been slowly getting into SCA rapier as well. Fun stuff.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome! I trust that you'll find the discussion here engaging. Enjoy!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.