New-er-er Dwarves!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Re: New-er-er Dwarves!

Post by Jonathan B. »

You know I hadn't even noticed that.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well it was a sword of Westerness and they most likely figured they were going the same direction as elrond and Arwen's sword.

I kinda had in my mind though that Glamdring and Orcrist were suposed to be like "twin swords" you know all the goblin cleaver foe hammer, beater and biter thing. (Unless this is not Orcrist and then disregard the above quandry!)

Perhaps when I initially read it it stuck in my mind that way.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Glamdring and Orcrist being sister swords has always been my thinking.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:but single branched guard ?- C'mon !!!
Impracticality is SCREAMING in my head. Thorin's going to be thumbless in no time.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

True, but I think they were looking for a lost-art kind of vibe. Notice how similar it is to Sting, as if it is suggested that they are paired blades. I think if they made it a twin of Glamdring it might have been confusing on film, and of course, think of the merchandising. I wonder how Gene Simmons would look as a dwarf? LOL

Ken

P.S. Love Thorin's look, btw. Orcrist looks wicked fast. I bet there will be alot of slicing.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I was thinking that exactly, that it really did look more like Sting than Glamdring and in the book it is mentioned that Sting was the more the ekket or Wakazashi (to put it in japenese terms) to them, which is why Bilbo was given it.
My son seemed to think that the three swords were a set like Glamdring the Katana, Orcrist the wakazashi and Sting the tanto, while I like the thought of that I did not see any evidence to support it from what was said.

I do remember there was reference to Orcrist being a bit smaller and leaf shaped but I am going to go back and do some reasearch on this one to make sure. (I hate when a little point like this comes up, it won't let me rest till I find the answers, and you know Jackson's team no mater what they finally arrived at, did their homework)
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I agree. The only artistic license that the guys at Weta took that I hated, and still do, is the look of the Wargs. Absolutely hate it. More hyena than wolf.

That is an interesting theory about the three swords, I am really hoping we get a flashback to Gondolin :D Imagine 100 balrogs on screen...

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Ringulf wrote:
I do remember there was reference to Orcrist being a bit smaller and leaf shaped but I am going to go back and do some reasearch on this one to make sure. (I hate when a little point like this comes up, it won't let me rest till I find the answers, and you know Jackson's team no mater what they finally arrived at, did their homework)

None that I can find as of yet. At least not in the Hobbit I don't know about other sources.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I gotta go with you on the warg thing not to be unsensitive but it They look like giant hyenas missing a few chromasomes. I had always envisioned them as really large sentient wolves that had a really feirce and wickedly intelligent demeanor.
Greg

Post by Greg »

A rabble of Mindless Dwarves!

Orcrist looks, in this image, to be around arming sword-length on a human. That's reasonable, in my opinion, to be considered a hand-and-a-half on a Dwarf.
Menelgor
Wayfarer

Post by Menelgor »

I think there is too much computer games influence on the design of these dwarves. In LOTR the shorty guys looked much better imho. And beards - You can't have a proper dwarf without a nice long beard...and where are the hoods?
I do think Biffur, Boffur and Bombur look very well
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

If you go over to The One Ring, they have embiggened the pics so you can see some of the detail of the garb. You can see a blue hood of sorts on Kili, for instance. While you are there, try to speculate what is stuck in Bifur's skull lol

Ken
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I still think Bombur has a great big teflon ice cream scoop!
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

They all look good, but only 5 of them would really stick out as Dwarves to me, Oin and Gloin being the most...Dwarvish...at least compared to the LotR movie.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I hear that. Dori, Thorin, Balin, Oin, and Gloin are the five that stick out as the most Dwarf-looking, as far as the New Line Gimli goes. Regardless of Tolkien's writing and New Line's interpretation of Gimli, I think Dori simply has my favorite garb, ignoring his shorter-than-should-be beard. I just like how his mantle fits in with his gear and such.