Hi, ya'll! I'm new!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Hi, ya'll! I'm new!

Post by Greg »

Let ye all be warned...I'm standing over the Cookie Dough tub with sword drawn. Don't even think about it.

Suzanne, welcome! I'm that guy with the hawk you and your family met a few months ago.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Suzanne
Wanderer

Post by Suzanne »

Yeah, I remember. :)
Speaking of hawks, the red-tailed hawk chicks learned how to fly a couple of weeks ago, and you can often see them flying from their nest in the Eucalyptus over our skylight out to a tree on the hill.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

So I was out this evening and came back tonight to find my siblings here with 4-9 posts each. I am pleased. 8)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Suzanne wrote:Hi!
I just joined this forum yesterday, but I have been spying on you for about 3 months now! :evil: I am a younger sister to Ernhildir, and love all this ranger stuff!
I was waiting to come up with a really cool username, but couldn't think of anything, so I just used my first name instead. ^_^
Some folks take their own names, find the meaning, and then try to translate that into Sindarin or Quenya. For example, Suzanne is French for lily, from my limited Google search, so I checked a Quenya word list and find the Quenya word for lily is indil, which is nice, so playing with that you can make a very cool and unique name:

Indilwen lily-maiden
Indilriel is another version.

We have alot of folks who are quite good at their Quenya/Sindarin, so if you are interested in a more Middle-earth name, just ask for help!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Estelliel*

Post by Estelliel* »

Welcome Suzane! Paul, paul, paul, you aren't allowed to have more posts than me already!

Be forewarned Greg, I WILL steal that tub of cookie dough from under your guard, naked blade or no.
"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14:27
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

welcome suzanne.....
i hope you don't like manuka honey and lemon icecream cos i have first dibs
:D
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Welcome all!
Well... we won't be lacking ranger apprentices :shock: :lol: :lol:

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Let the haz... training begin. lets start by teaching how to fletch arrows I think 50 of each of us would be good.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Galina

Post by Galina »

Hi. Im the older sibling of Eric with a C (i dont know his username on this). I think out whole family is slowly getting into this stuff. It's fun.
I am graduating HS in two weeks. YAY :P
I will be attending Pierce College this fall and i am doing their Equestrian program. I'm excited.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Mirimaran wrote:
I just joined this forum yesterday, but I have been spying on you for about 3 months now! :evil: I am a younger sister to Ernhildir, and love all this ranger stuff!
I was waiting to come up with a really cool username, but couldn't think of anything, so I just used my first name instead. ^_^
Some folks take their own names, find the meaning, and then try to translate that into Sindarin or Quenya. For example, Suzanne is French for lily, from my limited Google search, so I checked a Quenya word list and find the Quenya word for lily is indil, which is nice, so playing with that you can make a very cool and unique name:

Indilwen lily-maiden

We have alot of folks who are quite good at their Quenya/Sindarin, so if you are interested in a more Middle-earth name, just ask for help!

Ken
Nice find, Ken. I didn't realize Quenya had a word for lily. Probably because I know virtually nothing about Quenya. :wink: Unfortunately, though, we probably shouldn't be sticking any "wens" or "riels" on it, because that would be mixing Quenya and Sindarin. :/
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Galina wrote:Hi. Im the older sibling of Eric with a C (i dont know his username on this). I think out whole family is slowly getting into this stuff. It's fun.
I am graduating HS in two weeks. YAY :P
I will be attending Pierce College this fall and i am doing their Equestrian program. I'm excited.
How many siblings do I have, anyway? And since when were they all interested in Rangering? Oh well. No complaints here. :lol:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ernildhir wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:

Indilwen lily-maiden

Ken
Nice find, Ken. I didn't realize Quenya had a word for lily. Probably because I know virtually nothing about Quenya. :wink: Unfortunately, though, we probably shouldn't be sticking any "wens" or "riels" on it, because that would be mixing Quenya and Sindarin. :/
Boromir is a mix of Quenya/Sindarin. Where did you get the idea that you can't mix the two?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Mirimaran wrote:
Boromir is a mix of Quenya/Sindarin. Where did you get the idea that you can't mix the two?

Ken
Well, certainly we can, we only shouldn't, in my opinion. Feanor is another example of a mixed Quenya/Sindarin name. I just find it a little bit messy, or flawed, personally. It would be similar to if CA's former governor were named something like Arnold Blackenegger, you know? I wouldn't use a mixed name for anything, but certainly it's been done by Tolkien, so go for it if it doesn't bother you. I'm guess I'm just OCD. :lol:
Suzanne
Wanderer

Post by Suzanne »

I don't care, as long as it sounds good and translates well. :D
Lily would be good, but Suzanne also translates into Lily of the Valley, which is a small, white, bell shaped flower. I considered using 'bell-like flower' or something.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Suzanne wrote:I don't care, as long as it sounds good and translates well. :D
Lily would be good, but Suzanne also translates into Lily of the Valley, which is a small, white, bell shaped flower. I considered using 'bell-like flower' or something.
Nellos or Nelloth would be Sindarin for "bell-like flower."