Qustion for arrow makers???

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Qustion for arrow makers???

Post by Willrett »

I was looking for some arrow shafts and I found these http://www.pacforestsupply.com/index.php?cPath=4_17
Any idea if they will work? I would buy them in a second if I know they will work. If I get a new bow it will be about 55# so I hope to buy shafts that will work for that.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Qustion for arrow makers???

Post by Willrett »

Ok second question has anyone seen or made one of these http://www.thelongbowshop.com/shop/shop ... /p_88.html
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Those shafts are 3/8" in diameter, and the average points for arrows in the 55# range are made 11/32" in diameter, which is not big enough for those. In addition, a box of 1000 of those would have shafts with all different spine weights, so to make accurate arrows, you'd have to spend upwards of $100 on a spine tester. Then, you'd have, oh, 30% or less of them wind up in the ballpark of the spine weight you wanted, leaving you with 700 or more shafts that you couldn't use with your bow. For arrow makers that sell all different kinds of spine weights they might be a good option, but the nonstandard shaft diameter makes them less-than-ideal. Modern Field points are only manufactured up to 23/64", which is still too small, though a blacksmith that makes authentic bodkins and the like most likely makes points for shafts up to 1/2". However, for authentic handmade points, you're going to pay, big time.

As for the nocking tool, that looks like a great little jig, but it won't fit those shafts, as it only goes up to 23/64" as well. I prefer hand cutting mine with a hacksaw blade or, preferably, a narrow cutting wheel and a dremel. They don't come out perfect every time, but they've got character, they work, and there isn't a noticeable difference over cutting with a jig, performance-wise. I'd have no recommendations against picking up a jig like that if you want one, but it won't really do anything but cost you upwards of $40 which could be spent on shafts, fletching, points...a hundred other things.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

I shot ash and only ash. I get them from Allegheny Mtn. Arrow woods.

Almost impossible to break.....and hit like a mumak!

I have shot only wooden arrows since 1999. I make mine own as well.
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Allegheny has the benefit of the shafts being properly spined. When you order, he will ask you your draw weight and length and make the shafts to suit.

That is where I get mine.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Should've mentioned this before, but I can always throw this up now...I shoot Port Orford Cedar myself since it's so readily available, and I get them in pre-spined bundles on ebay from the same seller so they're consistent.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Greg, could you give me a link? Thanks.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Here's the seller...he carries them pre-lacquered as well as bare, depending on your preference. Unfortunately, he pre-tapers the nock end on the lacquered ones, which means that we self-nockers have something to cut off right out of the box...but it's not a big deal.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

FWIW, I used to get my fletching supplies from FS Archery. They sell the shafts spined to within 5 lbs. And, yes, make sure the points you get match the diameter of your shafts. Same thing with nocks, if you're not doing self-nocks.

I love the smell of cedar in the morning. Smells like archery!
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Since we're talking arrows, what kinds of arrowheads would you expect to find in a Ranger's quiver?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Bodkins, field and hunting heads are what I have. Just to be safe I also have a silver arrowhead. 15 years ago I cut up a 1 oz ingot, filed it and attached it to a shaft.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Peter Remling wrote:Bodkins, field and hunting heads are what I have. Just to be safe I also have a silver arrowhead. 15 years ago I cut up a 1 oz ingot, filed it and attached it to a shaft.
Just when I thought I have heard everything... :o

You just upped your coolness level to 11 :D
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Peter Remling wrote:Bodkins, field and hunting heads are what I have. Just to be safe I also have a silver arrowhead. 15 years ago I cut up a 1 oz ingot, filed it and attached it to a shaft.
Makes sense... you never know when you might meet a remnant of the werewolves of the First Age. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Sauron was their chief, Tar nu Fuin, Isle of Werewolves.

I am sure he still has some lying about somewhere.
Nandalad!