Need-wallet

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Need-wallet

Post by Peter Remling »

The finished product looks great.

I have a pair of, what look to be similar sized hard belt pouches. You can only fit a wallet or such in each. I generally keep a flint and steel set in the other at events.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very nice Greg, and we'd love to see it packed as well!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote:Image

I'd be glad to! Once I work out the kinks in version 2, I'll post a complete pattern. It's pretty simple, so that won't take long.
Looks great! I like your tree better than New Line's. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I actually like new line's better, lol. I was looking at new Line's and freehanding this with the woodburner, and the roots turned out way bigger than I wanted. The next one will be cleaner...but I'm glad you like it at any rate!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Interesting.

I would take a page from general buckskinners, or possibly longhunters. Two bags, really. A "necessaries" pouch, which never leaves your person, and a "possibles" bag, which may be separated. Just a matter of degree.

The necessaries (or maybe necessities?) bag, the size of a belt pouch, would hold basic fire starting gear, maybe a knife, fishing gear...the very basics that you can't do without, and is usually on the belt. The possibles bag, a bit larger and usually slung over the shoulder, holds other things. which you could "possibly" do without (but still wouldn't want to). The possibles bag acts as a general purpose carrying bag, as well.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

i agree with Pwyll.

I carry a small flint, steel, and tinder kit and my knife on my belt.Those are what i consider my abosulte essentials. my small shoulder bag would carry whatever i need for the day, some rations fishing kit, snare cord, oil and stone.

in the future i plan to make a primitive survival bracelet out of woven hemp or lether. so i have a bit of cordage with me. either that or makign a woven hemp belt.

and further more if im moving significant distance i would carry a snapsack, for more esoteric (i dont think im using that word right) gear and a lot more room for food.

and this is allways assuming im carrying my water bottel. would not want to be far from that. im in the process of making a small leather bag to lash onto the bottel to hold a small bottle of water purifiers.

Frothgar

PS. Love this thread.
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Frothgar wrote:
and this is allways assuming im carrying my water bottel. would not want to be far from that. im in the process of making a small leather bag to lash onto the bottel to hold a small bottle of water purifiers.

Frothgar

PS. Love this thread.
I like that idea ALOT. I want to see that! Good one!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Here's a neat page of pouches that I found last night:

Greg

Post by Greg »

Nice diagrams, Ken!

Alright, I've "re-assembled the troops" in my pouches, etc., and here's what I've come up with.

The large pouch mounted on my quiver still remains my mobile kitchen. Utensils and dried food all go in there.

I have a small belt pouch on the front of my waist which contains strictly sword care items, including honing stone/files, oil, a rag to wipe it on with, and an allen wrench for my pommel.

Next, the need-wallet. I replaced the gussets with something more practical, and have oiled it (finished stuffed pic, as requested by ken, seen below). It contains my tinderbox (in another thread about pouches, I had this in a quiver pouch, but someone--Frothgar, I think--pointed out that I wouldn't want my fire separate from my person), linen bandages/wraps, water purification tabs, a small utility knife, and a small amount of dried meats.

Then there's my "possibles bag", ie. haversack, which has additional tools and foraged food, and includes all of my hawking supplies plus an attached game bag to stow any jacks or squirrels that Maia catches.

Courtesy of the other thead and this one, I think it's all finally set up the way I want it.

Final stuffed pic, with new larger side panels:
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

I gotta make one of those. that would be quite handy.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ok, I FINALLY got some pics uploaded of the pouch that I made two months ago, but it was a really crappy summer and I'm just now getting back to the fun stuff. Anyway, I wanted to make a needs-pouch but wanted to make something a little different, so I dug through my scrap pile and came up with almost three feet of ratty suede that I got out of a remnants bag from Michael's. I used Butterick pattern B5371, part of their Making History pattern line, and used pattern I. I made two pouches, but the difference is that I connected the two, almost like saddle bags, so that they would hang over the belt. Here's some pics! Yes, I got a new phone lol Also I picked up the small knife from the Robin Hood collection, which I thought would go nicely with the pouches. The one with the suede ties I messed up slightly with the grommets, as there are only 9 instead of 10, but it works fine. The slide is made of camel bone. The second pouch came out slightly smaller, and I took the advice from the board and sewed around the holes instead of the grommets, and then I used glue to stiffen them up. I like to line my bags so I lined both, and glued old leather to patch the ratty holes.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Interesting design, nice excecution !
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow Ken I really like the design of that bag! a soft, reversed, double sided, belt purse! Very cool!
I would think it would also work pretty well in fur!

I am trying to determine which of my pouches are for what, and how I need to disperse them among my weapons. But I think that one may have made the list!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I like the idea and they look great.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Nice work! Looks perfect for what you wanted!