Help with a name

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Help with a name

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae Govannen!

I have been thinking lately and I have decided that I want to change my name. TexasRanger36 sounds kinda stupid in a forum like this. Therefore, I would like to change my name to something in Sindarin.
I have thought of two things that I would like my new name to mean:

Tall Man
South Watcher (Since I live in the South) 8)

So I have been doing some studying. If my research is correct, “Harad” is South, “Tond” is man, and “Adan” is Man. I can’t find anything for Watcher but I did find “Randir” which means Wanderer. So the possibilities are :

Tonnadan = Tall man?
Haradadan = Southman?
Hararandir = South Wanderer?
Tondrandir = Tall Wanderer?

So my questions are is there a word for Watcher? Do these words mean what I think they mean? Do the names make sense? Are the names acceptable in the LOTR universe? :?: I would appreciate any information you knowledgeable chaps could pass on.

Thanks so much!

TexasRanger36 ( for now)
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
kaelln

Re: Help with a name

Post by kaelln »

Hi Tex! I use a Sindarin name generator that has Sindarin rules built in. According to it, "tall man" comes out "Tonnadan", "south man" comes out "Haradadan", and "tall wanderer" comes out "Tondrandir",so you got those right. "South wanderer" comes out "Haradrandir" so you were close. There are a couple of other guys that are real experts, though, so I'd run it by them. Ernilder springs immediately to mind.

The name generator can be found here: http://elffetish.com/SindaFrame1.php
Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dailir »

Watcher according to A Gateway To Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings by David Salo would be "Tirn, -dir, -thir, noun.: Watcher [OS *Tirno (The forum won't let me have a root sign so imagine one here)TIR]" Although if I'm correct the root Tir is Quenya.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Thanks guys!
kaelln wrote:Hi Tex! I use a Sindarin name generator that has Sindarin rules built in. According to it, "tall man" comes out "Tonnadan", "south man" comes out "Haradadan", and "tall wanderer" comes out "Tondrandir",so you got those right. "South wanderer" comes out "Haradrandir" so you were close. There are a couple of other guys that are real experts, though, so I'd run it by them. Ernilder springs immediately to mind.

The name generator can be found here: http://elffetish.com/SindaFrame1.php
Interesting, that's the same site I got my information from. Thanks for the correction!
Dailir wrote:Watcher according to A Gateway To Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings by David Salo would be "Tirn, -dir, -thir, noun.: Watcher [OS *Tirno (The forum won't let me have a root sign so imagine one here)TIR]" Although if I'm correct the root Tir is Quenya.
So Southern Watcher would be either Haradir or Haradthir. Tall Watcher would be either Tondir or Tondthir, right? Thanks!

I must admit, this Sindarin language has got me beat. I really need to buy that book.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thanks, Kaelln, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Perhaps just someone who has a little more experience than the average person in utilizing David Salo's Gateway. :lol: That said, I will offer my best yet possibly flawed utilization.

TexasRanger,

It seems to me that the correct formations of those names are Tonnadan, Haradadan, Haradir, and Tondir, so your translations look good to me.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

What about Hararandir and Tondrandir ?
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

TexasRanger36 wrote:What about Hararandir and Tondrandir ?
Haradrandir and Tondrandir are what I believe to be the correct forms.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Whoops! Thanks for the correction (again)!

So my choices are:

Tonnadan = Tall man
Haradadan = Southman
Haradrandir = South Wanderer
Tondrandir = Tall Wanderer
Haradir = South Watcher
Tondir = Tall Watcher

Well guys, I cannot say how much I appreciate the help. Thanks to all of you!